1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 Bass Driver

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mediocrity Man, Feb 1, 2017.

1. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    Do I need a Tech 21 V2 Sansamp Bass Driver?

Looks like a great tool to enhance overall tone.

Who's got one and do you love it?

2. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Need? No. It all depends on the sound you're looking for.
    I used a V1 for many years to 'tube up' an solid state amp. Playing Pop/Rock it worked fine.
    These days I use a Programmable, 3 channel version with one channel set very flat. I kept the V1 to use as an effect pedal to add real tube-like growl where needed.
    What kind of music do you play?
    Looking at your gear, you have some quite 'hi-fi' sounding stuff. What's the sound you're looking for?

A lot of people use the SABDDI as a DI without invoking the speaker simulation, in which case it can be quite transparent.

Mediocrity Man and franvarin like this.
  3. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    If you're happy with your current tone, then you don't need anything!

But having said that, I'm a fan of the Sansamp BDDI. I've used it for bass guitar gigs, and I use it with my upright bass. It's my standard for DI to FOH. I'm dime the tube emulation on mine. It does a lot of things well, but you have to decide for yourself if those are the things you are looking for.

You can always pick one up used and try it out. Chances are if you don't like it, you can turn around and sell it for what you bought it for.

Mediocrity Man and franvarin like this.
  4. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    I've used a BDDI for a little over a year now. I do like it, I would not say I "love" it. As mentioned above, I use it like salt and pepper meaning I don't over do the EQ and keep the drive really low. It does a nice job of fattening up the tone and seems to accent the harmonics a bit. I keep it set generally at unity gain as well. So, really just using it to fatten the tone. The first version takes a little getting used to since it has just a Bass and Treble knobs in the EQ section. As you increase the Bass and Treble the mids are scooped. So, extreme settings with those two knobs can quickly lose control of the mids.

I also like the Eden WTDI, very cost effective and worth the look. I think there are some aspects of the WTDI that are better than the BDDI. I will likely switch over to using it full time once I'm more comfortable with it.

Mediocrity Man likes this.
  5. Mediocrity Man

Mediocrity Man Master of Mediocrity Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2014
    Stillwater, New Jersey
    My gear has changed drastically. I'm now running an Ampeg PF 500 with aguilar GS112 cabs. I have a Fender P bass, Yamaha BB series and a Sandberg active / passive VS4. So I guess I'd like to capture some more of that vintage growl for the current classic rock bands I'm in.

6. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    It'll do a good job of SVT'ish drive. There's also the VT Bass pedal as well for that sort of thing.

7. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Wanna have a great bass tone? Yes, you have to try it.

8. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    i use the bass driver deluxe always, and one of my amps has the RBI as the preamp. I really like the tones that sansamp provides. very usable. i am getting more and more tones out of the deluxe, and it is covering every kind of grit I want currently.

9. odrive

odrive

Jan 30, 2017
    My BDDI, along with a headstock tuner, is my entire direct rig for gigs. I used to have V1 and prefer V2 for the mid controls.

Philly Watts and Mediocrity Man like this.
  10. I don't love mine AT ALL. I don't think it sounds like an SVT and really has some burpy tones mostly.

11. Londo Molari

Londo Molari

Jan 1, 2014
    2 blocks east of Mars
    Decendant from the Clovis culture. "Emitting that wonderful bass effect since 1970".
    I've been using one for close to 20 years now. It's not perfect but it is a great tool. I wish I had one back in the 70's. I don't go to play anywhere without it.

12. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    You don't NEED one.... however, I never play without mine I use it as a DI and a pre to send signal to FOH. There have been plenty of times I had to just run to the PA and it saved my ass

13. Josh Kneisel

Josh Kneisel

Jun 17, 2016
    Arizona
    For those who say they don't like it they probably didn't dig the scoop that's built in... I like how mine sounds on EBG or UB, I roll the bass off a bit and leave treble no higher than 12 o'clock, I have the blend and presence at 12 o'clock, level at about 3 o'clock and drive just barely on maybe 1/4 of a turn on (9 o'clock). Also, I like that you can send Line Level out to a powered speaker if you want.