Tech 21 BDDI, Para Driver V2, VT Bass pros/cons/thoughts

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by franvarin, Apr 23, 2017.

1. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    So, I have tried a bunch of preamp/DI type pedals including: Tech 21 BDDI, VT Bass, Para Driver V2, and Eden WTDI. I use the Eden at Church, it's really deep and smooth. But, I'm still struggling between the Tech 21 offerings. Right now the Para Driver V2 as booted the BDDI off my board. I went with it because the BDDI is tough to dial in without a Mid knob. I know, the new BDDI has one. I like the semi-parametric approach of the Para Driver.

The sound of the Para Driver really gives a "modern" tone, even with the "fat tube" setting. I like what I hear from it. What I'm confused by though is the difference between the VT Bass pedal and the DI version It seems to me the latter actually sounds better based on the clips I've heard. The issue I see with the VT Bass pedal is that once you dial in the bottom end it tends to get boomy and the highs do not see to ring through. Seems to lose some of the high end harmonics.

I'm hoping someone who has the DI and the pedal version can weigh in for me. I'm contemplating picking up the VT Bass DI to complement the Para Driver on my board. I'd love to hear some thoughts along this line. Is there another solution I'm not aware of. I'm trying to get to a tight punchy sound where I can dial in a little tube grit if I want. I've got an After Shock for the dirt when I need it so, not looking to use this as an OD.

2. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    I know it's not much help to say I like them all but I do. I do prefer the BDDI however. There is a built in mid scoop but if you take time to play around with it you can work around it and find a great tone that won't get lost in a mix. I tend to run the blend at 10, treble at 11, bass at 10, drive at 12, presence between 12 and 1. I get a great tone with all my basses, mid range is present and the tone sounds great through any PA.

3. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    Thanks! I'll try those settings for sure. I've used the BDDI for a few years. I do like it but, find the mid scoop thing frustrating.

4. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    One other thought, I'd love to be able to configure these in such a way where they are not chained together. It seems even in bypass there is a certain level of coloration and even additional gain that happens. Any thoughts on how to do that?

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022