1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 Boost Chorus

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by eupharies, Jul 17, 2012.

1. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Bassist - Chasing Dragons
    Hello

I am contemplating getting one of these, as im starting to have some nice bass tapping solos, or intros where i am playing alone so feel if i add a bit of well what a chorus pedal can offer especially on the tapping solos it will sound alot fuller and notes will hold for longer etc...

Anyway, i was thinking maybe this one... or does the Tech21 bass driver deluxe or VT bass deluxe also can do the same thing?

Alternatively if you can recommend another pedal id be very interested!

Thanks Ant

2. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    how would this compare to the analog-man bi-chorus?

3. While searching for a chorus pedal, which I still am, it seems like there were quite a few here who didn't care much for the Analogman chorus. Hearing some of the not so glorious reviews bummed me out a bit because I was looking very closely at the Analogman mini chorus. The TC Electronics Corona chorus was recommended multiple times though. Also, you can get a new one got about half the price of a new Analogman.

4. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Yeh i have seen some negative reviews but... at the same time... alot of people have said it is amazing, and some of the videos ive seen, with the depth switch do sound AWESOME!

Although i am also interested in the DETUNE option of the Boost chorus... its so hard haha!

5. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    Corona does have some pretty good reviews!

6. I've got one, I like it, but I typically use it in a band setting. Add overdrive and an envelope filter, and you get some pretty crazy sounds. But the reason I use it like this is to thicken up my sound and add a little more depth to it. It does also add a lot of sustain to each note.

When I practice at home, I'll sometimes run it as a solo effect. Honestly, the best way to figure out if its for you is to borrow someone's and see whether it suits you or not. I have had an opportunity to try the analogman, and to me that was amazing, but a little out of my price range. I went with the tech21 instead because it sounded good and was a bit more affordable than the analogman.

7. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    ah awesome, well i was thinking this just for a bass tapping solo for now, but i could us it for alot of things!

As im based in the UK i cannot get my hands on most of these pedals to test :(

8. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    mm having watched a few videos i think i prefer the Tech 21... seems more versatile and noticeable when you make a change.. the video is much better though by a pro!

9. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    bump :p

10. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    I had the Bass Boost Chorus but it wasn't really doing it for me and now I'm really happy with my Iron Ether Polytope http://ironether.com/pedals/polytope/
    It's more spendy but sounds awesome.

A delay pedal may also suit what you're trying to do, as far as filling the sound out.

If your tapped notes aren't as loud or as sustained as your other notes, a compressor will help to even things out.

11. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    ahh awesome, didnt think of a compressor... would it be beneficial for me to get a multi FX pedal instead of something dedicated?

12. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    Quite possibly. The Zoom B3 has been getting a lot of attention recently. Check out the thread on here.

13. eupharies

eupharies

Jul 3, 2007
    Leeds UK
    I have a zoom b2 infact but, cannot see it being overly useful in a live setting

14. Col200

Col200

Feb 18, 2007
    I use the Tech21 Boost Chorus and really like it. I'll admit I use it very sparingly and usually a slight chorus effect to just add some thickness. It definitely has more options than almost any chorus pedal. Not sure how useful a lot of them are (some can very VERY extreme, specially with the detune knob). If you're in a 3 piece (Axe, big axe and drums), the 'multivoice' feature can be pretty useful. The best thing about the pedal is that you don't lose any low frequencies whatsoever. It's HUGE sounding. Kinda spendy, but it's a tank. Tech21 makes good stuff.
    I'd go to your local shop and give it a test drive if you can. Maybe throw a fuzz or something in front of it to get a better idea of it's capabilities. I threw a Prunes&Custard on there last week and it was pretty gnarly (in a good way).

Driven Crane likes this.
  15. dustinfennessey

dustinfennessey

Sep 29, 2011
    WI
    I use this pedal A LOT. I've tried everything from MXR to TRex to Malekko and a lot in between and this is the best chorus I've ever had. Very organic and really easy to dial in a nice sound. Just my two cents :)

16. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

No point starting a new thread, but I picked up one of these today after fighting with my Boss Chorus.

In my studio, it is the best Chorus I have played. I like it more than the TC Corona, original TC, the Boss CE-5, Boss Bass Chorus, MXR Deluxe and Digitech.

Very organic and easy to dial in different tones.

Real test will be at a gig/full volume rehersal but so far I love this pedal.

Note: at $189 it is a bit expensive.

17. Boss CE-20 is what I've landed on. Endless flexibility, and I like the way it looks and don't mind a larger pedal. Now the question of finding one is up to you, but I think they're great and go for less than 100 used.