1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 dUg Pinnick DP-3X Signature Pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattattack187, Dec 19, 2017.

1. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Tech 21 posted this on their Facebook this morning.
    dug.

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

These days I'm not playing many tunes where dUgTone would be appropriate.... BUT I DON'T CARE!

3. mattattack187

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    I hear ya. I'm definitely interested to see how this sounds however. It's cool that you can use it as an "amp tone" preamp.

D Bowden and Fuzzbass like this.
  4. AlexBassMP

AlexBassMP

Feb 5, 2014
    Barcelona
    Another item added to my GAS list

5. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Amen !!! April can't come soon enough.

K-2 and Fuzzbass like this.
  6. Fuzzbass

The tuner is a nice bonus. I assume it'll be at least as good quality as the clip-ons I normally use. I wonder: is it always on, with the Tuner footswitch being a mute?

7. Interesting... I hope that solution works and isn't as pricey as the 1000 amp!

My only complaint with almost ALL of the SansAmp stuff of late is that while most of their pedals have a selectable speaker emulation (e.g., VT bass does), their rack stuff does not.

To me, playing with a speaker emulator on while playing through a speaker just doesn't cut it for me- like the VT bass rack/pedal (with emu on) sounding like a miked up 810, but playing it through a power amp driving an actual 810 cuts too much of the tone out. the DI to FOH will sound great, but to my monitor, not so much. Obviously designed for a full range cab (fEARFUL, etc.)...

If there were a real solution to this, rather than just a work around of turning up the presence/treble (as suggested by Tech 21 directly to me, but now too much treble/clank to FOH), I'd (still) be all over Tech 21 for my rig (speaking as a previously an RBI owner of many years- now broken in my junk pile).

I'm sure this will still sell, regardless of my moaning... LOL

Alacajun likes this.
  8. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    All that does is roll the high end off. You don't have any Eq on your Rig ?

9. Actually, and maybe to clarify- If I use a Tech21 preamp (RBI, for e.g,) into a power amp, the issue still remains- the "speaker/miking emulation" (eq, magic fairies, whatev,) is STILL present at BOTH the DI and preamp output. So, as I mentioned, if FOH gets a great sound from the DI , then the "monitor" (an actual Ampeg 810 in my case) suffers. OR I EQ (with the RBI's toneshaping) to get a kinda good sound, then FOH gets a bright, clanky tone (kinda what SansAmps were designed to NOT DO).

There appears to be no cake for us to have AND eat here.

I've emailed with Tech21 a few times, suggesting that while they keep the SansAmp circuitry for the DI portions 9which are supposed to emulate the sound of a "mike in front of a speaker" to paraphrase Tech 21, why not just have an output from the preamp that would drive a power amp (RBI, RPM, etc to say, my SWR ST-800 power amp to my Ampeg810), and have that section sound/emulation of the AMPLIFER ONLY (SVT/B15/whatev)? I've been told it can't be done (which I take to mean, WON'T, because I'm sure it could). Most techs I've talked with think it's a great idea. Guess the numbers aren't there in relation to the cost...

10. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    I run the VT Deluxe Pedal and mine is a early version without the Sim Disable switch. I program my tone's to sound great to FOH then I dial my rig (EQ) to get what I want on stage. I'm more concerned about what's going to FOH.
    I understand your frustration completely and I'm sure Tech 21 could remedy the problem but would come with a redesign and an additional buffered output circuit. It's just not cost effective. You would think the would incorporate it in new products though.
    All you need to do is EQ back in the High's that the Speaker Simulator has removed by placing an EQ of some sort before your SWR ST-800 power amp.

**Peace**
    Eddie

El-Bob and basscapes like this.
  11. Fuzzbass

I think it's a challenge regardless. FWIW: even through my sealed/tweeterless Berg NV610 cab, I leave the speaker emulation engaged on my Oxford and Leeds pedals. Also, when I used rack rigs, I thought the RBI got plenty zingy -- I should mention that the soundman I usually worked with mic'd my cab, but I didn't get complaints when I worked with other techs: I assume they dialed back excessive zing on their end.

This will sound like "gear problems can be corrected by getting more gear", but I have a DSM Noisemaker OmniCabSim for special situations. As the name says, it's a cab sim: has variable low pass and hi pass filters, a cab sim knob (goes from small to large cab sizes), a couple of mid tweak knobs, and the newer version (which I don't have) offers a headphone out. I don't often get PA support these days, but I like to use the cab sim to "vintage up" my small/light hi fi cabs. I typically don't use the cab sim with my Berg NV610, but I would if I were using that cab and had to send DI out to FOH: I'd use cab sim DI to FOH, and send an unaffected out to my amp rig. I'm sure there are other DIs that perform similar duties, but all I know is the OCS.

hintz and basscapes like this.
  12. I particularly like your comment, "You would think the would incorporate it in new products though."

I've tried EQing to get the top end (and some bottom!) back in. Maybe I'm neurotic about my tone, but swear it just isn't right. Always seems to be a compromise somewhere...

Besides, there's no EQ on the SWR ST-800 power amp. I do get it (now) from Ampeg SCR-DI and/or Tronographic Rusty Box driving the power amp directly.

Peace, indeed! :thumbsup:

EdBo likes this.
  13. Maybe I'll have a go at building something like the DSM later on (got WAY TOO MANY projects calling me back to the workbench right now!). Get it to sound as close to the 810, and feed it at the end of the preamp/pedal board...

For my recording needs though, I've also been miking up with one or two mikes, and NOT using a DI at all (ala Steve Albini). Good results. All bets are off for live at the moment...

My RBI died a few years ago. Got replacement ribbon cables for it (the cheapest connection known to man, IMHO), had it good for another few months, then one day, it just up and started humming through the SansAmp side of the blend control (everything else worked fine.). Since they epoxy-encase circuitry in there, I'm too cheap/scared to send to them for repair (which I could probably do myself if only...), it sits in the junk pile for now.

I'm really not trying to slam Tech 21! I have used their stuff for a number of years (had TWO GT-2s!, RBI, and ORIGINAL Bass DI) and have always loved the tone I got. I'm just surprised they haven't really addressed this...

EdBo likes this.
  14. In response to the postings I've been privy too (and maybe in doing so, hijacked the original thread here), I guess I should center things a bit-

I think the idea of a dUg pedal is great! Many of us do not have the $$$ to spend on the 1000 head, but simply might want to add that tonal capability to their own personal arsenal. I'm all for that! I hope the product does well when it "officially" arrives! I really do! Tech 21 has been a groundbreaker with this kind of stuff (the GED 2112 is pretty good idea too).

My beef lies in a different region, and specifically with MY OWN PERSONAL TASTES AND NEEDS. I'm not for a moment gonna slam Tech 21. I think what they do is great for it's given market.

I just wish they'd offer a hint more flexibility, akin to the things I've previously mentioned/tried to discuss with them (MY NEEDS, ETC,).

If anyone needs me to clarify my needs/wants/desires with regards to what I've inquired about with Tech 21 (or anyone else who wants to throw their hat in the design/manufacturing ring), I'll be more than willing to talk their ears off. I'd prefer to do it via PM rather than take over a thread that is announcing a new product!

With all the negativity on the Internet these days, everyone needs as many props as they can get!

Peace,

15. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    Are there really that many Pinnick fans? Using the Spotify test, Kings X top song has 460k listens. I guess there are.

Jakeahearts, handofseven and EdBo like this.
  16. mattattack187

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    Tech 21 stuff can be a sensitive subject around here at times. It's one of those tones you either like or you don't. I use a VT Bass DI as my main tone and send it FOH. My Orange combo amp runs behind me for feel/monitoring. Two great sounds going on.

EdBo and basscapes like this.
  17. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Nov 7, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Dingwall-Fender-Jule-Dunlop-Tech 21-Darkglass-Nordstrand
    I'll post some videos demos of it from NAMM :thumbsup:

18. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    I've been watching this for a while now. Still would love to see a ballpark price though.

19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Alien Audio / Mesa Fanatic!! Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    mbelue, D Bowden, andaloudog and 5 others like this.
  20. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Awesome, I'll be waiting.