1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 dUg Pinnick DP-3X Signature Pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattattack187, Dec 19, 2017.

1. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Supporting Member

May 2, 2017
    Norman, OK / OU
    I've had the DP-3X for about 13 days. Crossover is brilliant and I won't go without it now. I really appreciate what tech 21 have accomplished in this pedal. Lol, and its only about the size of a Wonka Bar.
    Can't add much more as everything you guys have covered and said is true... The Chris Squire tone is a bonus
    20180604_195912 (2).

Zon master, EdBo, handofseven and 3 others like this.
  2. TodaysTomSawyer

May 2, 2017
    Norman, OK / OU
    Its more versatile than expected... As a tone shaper, the dUg is helping me get some distinctive tones. Especially when stacking. For example, I'd always found my VMT to be a bit dark. But now, pairing it with the DP-3X, it definitely benefits from crossover and has come to life. Same with the AOm, the dUg gives it oomph and it cuts (differently from low/high boosts). I can even afford to blend more. Its impressive what the dUg is adding to my pedals and effects.
    So right now, I'm running the DP-3X through the FX loop of the HX at the end of the signal chain to utilize the DP-3X fully. Everything goes through the dUg!
    20180606_1958244(1).

3. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

^^^Nice combo. Covers a wide range of dirt, and I'm not surprised that they play well together!

EdBo and Guest of Honor like this.
  4. TodaysTomSawyer

May 2, 2017
    Norman, OK / OU
    Thanks! Being able to add eq, comp, etc, in the chain as well helps the drives play nice together.

EdBo likes this.
  5. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Years ago I bought a Yamaha PB1, which has independently variable HPF and LPF outputs, with the intention of using it for bi-amped distortion with my 12-string basses. The PB1 also has a single-band parametric EQ and a Fender-type tone stack (which is not my favorite for bass). It worked, but is far bulkier and more complicated than the DP-3X. But yes, a little more control of the HPF and EQ on a DP-3X Deluxe would be great. Such a unit would be awesome for a wider variety of bi-amped bass distortion tones than just the dUg Pinnick zone.

On the VT Bass, I found that the "baked in" tones were not that usable for me, so I altered the character circuit to make it less aggressive, plus added a speaker-sim defeat switch which removes the sim's 3kHz peak, yet still gently rolls off the extreme high frequencies. I also swapped some of the capacitors with polypropylenes for an increase in clarity. The net result is that it sounds clearer and less obviously "Ampegy", but is more versatile for my purposes. And, while I like the distortion tones from the VT Bass, it lacks the clear sub-lows provided by the DP-3X due to the LPF.

Ba55Man1ac, EdBo and andrew like this.
  6. TodaysTomSawyer

May 2, 2017
    Norman, OK / OU
    This is where I'm at. I'm still experimenting, but having the dUg in the HX chain allows me to add additional High/Low Pass, IR's, Para eq, etc. Its not mods but does the job great! I'd almost like to get another DP-3X. One for dUg tone and one for tone shaping. As a substitute, I was about 75% from working out the Crossover using a VT Deluxe and a B7KU in split signal paths but the DP-3X has something brilliant I can't seem to achieve. Therefore, I second making a Programmable version!

EdBo likes this.
  7. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    This really is it for me: I found that the separated signal and compressed lows work so well, I try to replicate it with other pedals and am getting a really solid tone. This is the most helpful advice I got in years! And I always thought this should be the clean / uncompressed side. Wow!

Guest of Honor likes this.
  8. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

do you mean that you were always hearing that the lows should be clean/uncompressed and the highs should be compressed?

9. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Yes, please clarify Steve.

10. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Tried the DP-3X out at the store with my Waterstone TP-12 34"... and somehow the pedal followed me home. Found the 12 a lot different to dial in than my Pedulla Rapture 5; controlling the sharp metallic ring of the octave strings is a bit of a challenge. Will hopefully spend some more quality time with it over the next while....

11. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    I've been using the VT Deluxe for 3 or 4 years now(recommended by dUg) and running a Dual Band Comp in front of it with good success but, it pales in comparison to the DP-3X. I've had good success running split signal paths ito 2 rigs, both with good Eq's. I ran the VT Deluxe for the highs and a Comp & a BDDI for lows.
    For the live situation I need/want just 1 DI signal to send to FOH, so that setup just wouldn't work.
    I'm now experimenting with the DP-3X in the effects loop of the VT Deluxe. It's going to take some patience and time to find out how well they will work together and if they will meet all my needs/desires.
    *Peace*

Guest of Honor and handofseven like this.
  12. Cuzzie

Cuzzie Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2016
    @12bass now you are talking!
    Knew you would - good man

13. ikonz1122

ikonz1122 Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2015
    Rio Dell, CA
    I’ve found that “chunk” knob makes or breaks this pedal for me because it adds soooo much of the high-end presence. I will totally depend on your setup, but I get an absolutely killer tone with the gain maxed and the chunk knob turned up just to the point where the highs aren’t too piercing, which is less than a quarter of the way up. What you think the setting with the word “chunk” would do for this pedal is actually counterintuitive IMO. Like mentioned several times on this thread already, it takes several hours/days playing with the DP-3x before you’re really happy with, which most people will be.

Zon master, Cuzzie and Guest of Honor like this.
  14. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Just got mine. Band has been off, so Monday night is the first time I'll get to try it in the band setting. So far in my music room, it is pretty cool.

Guest of Honor likes this.
  15. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    I need to try this with my Darkglass B3K. I had not tried it that way yet.

Guest of Honor and Fuzzbass like this.
  16. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Spent a bit of time with the pedal....

Not sure I'm understanding quite where the compressor is patched into the circuit. When I set it up with minimal (barely noticeable) compression on the clean low-passed signal, the mixed signal seems awfully compressed when I add in the distorted Chunk, and sounds as if the pedal is compressing the combined signal, not just the LPF side. I figured that only the LPF would be going through the compressor, but perhaps I'm wrong about that? Personally, I tend to like just a little squish, enough to smooth the envelope a little, but not so much that it sounds like squashing a hot marshmallow. Distortion inherently compresses dynamics, so I'm not sure it would make sense to compress the combined (distorted) HPF and (clean) LPF signals.

There's a big difference in gain/distortion response depending upon the instrument. With my 1982 Rickenbacker 4001, I found that I really had to crank up the Drive to get some distortion, whilst there is more than enough gain available to seriously overdrive my Q-tunered Pedulla Rapture 5.

Will have to play with it a bit more... likely with the Hamer Chaparral 12-string next.

handofseven likes this.
  17. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Oh... about the 1/4" output not having the speaker sim. IMO, the pedal should at least have a switch to send the speaker sim to the 1/4" output, the same as the XLR out. Not sure of the percentages, but these days a lot of bassists have full-range rigs, so it makes sense to send the same signal with the speaker sim engaged to both amp and FOH. I realize that this pedal was made specifically for dUg; however, it seems to sensible to make the 1/4" output work well with both "old school" tweeterless bass rigs as well as "modern" full-range systems. At some point I may look into sending the XLR signal with the speaker sim to the 1/4" output, perhaps with a bit of attenuation added, as the XLR has a much hotter signal.

Jeff O'Connor likes this.
  18. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Gold Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    Hey all, a quick question. Has anyone put other distortion pedals AFTER the dUg? I think my cutting thru for solos and bass boosted parts may be solved if I put 1, (or more:roflmao:) after the dUg. I never wanted to do that so I could get the full use of the DI, but I may have to sacrifice that :meh:

EdBo likes this.
  19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

So far I've mostly used the dUg by itself, but at one gig I ran it into my Darkglass B7KU -- still sounded like the dUg, but with special B7K sauce on top. As with stacking in general the result will depend on the pedals being stacked (and your taste, etc), but the answer is to just go ahead and experiment... it should work out.

20. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    I love the way it sounds but that shape kills me. I wish they could have made it more pedal board friendly. I've tried to picture how I'd put this on my board and it's not even feasible without losing valuable real estate. Maybe for a recording tool instead? Anyone recording through DI with it? Or mic'd? How's it sound? Does it clip hard? Translate well or sound mushy?