1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 dUg Pinnick DP-3X Signature Pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattattack187, Dec 19, 2017.

1. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Still waiting for a report on a dUg pedal into an OCSD.

- John

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I have the original OCS (OmniCabSim), not the OCSD (Deluxe version). I haven't felt the need to run dUg into OCS, but I'm 100% certain they'd play well together.

Small but obvious caveat: no one should expect the OCS/OCSD to turn the dUg into something it's not. That said, the OCS would be the perfect (though not inexpensive) solution for someone who wanted cab sim on the 1/4" out of the dUg. Of course the OCS is a highly versatile cab sim; it would essentially add more EQ to the dUg.

Guest of Honor, Zon master and EdBo like this.
  3. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Ive done 3 shows with the pedal. Im enjoying it tremendously. Im getting a good aggressive tone with a lot of bite. For a few tunes where i want to dial the bite back, i simply turn down the VTC on my bass. Ive used a pj and a jj, both with Nordstrand pickups and preamp. Amp is a Bergantino which i have set to a very small amount of overdrive. We recorded the last show and it came out killer!!

4. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Indeed. However, if you've heard the demos of the OCSD which is "powerful enough" to dial the same exact guitar/pedal setup from blues to metal with zero changes other than the OCSD, I do think there is some serious tone shaping that can be done that would make the dUg work for even more people. Particularly in taming/shaping the high end.

- John

Guest of Honor and Fuzzbass like this.
  5. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    I'm a huge sucker for compression, so it's my always on. But until now I have always felt that the low-end should stay dynamic and have way less threshold than the highs. With the frequencies split that totally changed for me. Never had a tighter E- / B-String!

6. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    so when i got the pedal of course the first thing i tried was the dUg setting. thought it was cool, but moved on to many, many experiments. thinking i found what i liked even more. took some time, but i think i finally got to where i have a balance between the xlr for pa/recording and the 1/4" for my rig at the same time. looking through the booklet again today..... turns out ive ended up right back at the dUg setting except for a little bump on the mid eq. i guess i like what he does ;)

andrew, K-2, mmon77 and 3 others like this.
  7. K-2

K-2

Nov 30, 2016
    Vilnius, Lithuania
    Soooo, Finally got mine a couple of days ago. Had to sit through whole day in the office with DP3-X staring at me.

What first surprised me was the size - After tearing through the packaging I got to the pedals case (Pretty sturdy aluminium one, looks really good) and first thought was - "Okay, this is the size I expected" , so I open the box and wow, it is really small and there is a lot of free space in that case. It is like a couple of cigarette packs put together horizontally. I see how horizontal alignment might not suit some, when all other pedals on the board are vertical, but to me this is not a problem at all - tuner and compressor are coming off my board because of DUG, so instead of loosing I gained a lot of space.

I won't go to deep into sound, but can say it is really versatile and has a lot of options, one just have to spend some time with it (and understand how controls interact with each other) - for instance I tried Dugs setting - crunchy and distorted - I cut a little bit of mids, bring back treble to 12 and roll back drive to 12 and it became a modern slap tone with a little bit of grind. Tasty tasty sounds coming from this thing.

As many mentioned it is really responsive and I can tell that output of the bass plays a huge role to what you will get from this pedal - I was not too pleased with results I got from Warwick (Rockbass) Streamer (P/J) - it has a lot of mid range growl but seems it lacks the output and even at extreme setting I couldnt get much distortion. Then I plugged Jazz with SD Qourted pounds and as well Sire M2 and I had to instantly back of drive and treble to tame those. Of course Warwick has old strings and I can't wait to test it with new strings, because it is the one I like playing the most.

Last thing to mention - noise. It is quite, nothing to worry about. Of course if one is to crank chunk, treble or drive to extreme there will be a hiss, but what else would you expect from such high end boost. And of course it amplifies any noises already coming from pedals before it or basses that you plug in. Warwick is not active, so it has a single coil hum, but it is properly shielded and there is little to no hiss. However when I plugged a Harley Benton P-Bass (which now I know is not shielded at all) it sounded like a broken radio, but it definitely wasn't a problem with a pedal.

Sorry for the long post, hope some info will be useful for something who still didn't try this one out.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    Found a great Pedal to run as a Boost in front of the DP-3X and I'm finding the Fuzz at lower levels is also useful. Both the Boost and Fuzz are independent and function separately. Musicians Friend have these on Sale for $65.

upload_2018-6-13_12-37-45.

Guest of Honor, andrew and hbabels like this.
  9. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    @EdBo that's a great deal on the boost-fuzz. Tech 21 makes a few pedals with their boost included so if you want add boost with the dUg there's a few choices to get there.

BTW, thank you to every one in this thread who has chimed in with their experiences with using the dUg with other pedals/amp settings/particular basses/etc., it's all been interesting and helpful to me. I still need to get around to trying some of the suggestions given here, and I'm looking forward to it.

handofseven, Cuzzie and EdBo like this.
  10. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Question: has trying the dUg pedal made anyone consider getting the dUg amp? I imagine for most the pedal scratches the itch for a lot less money but is the added versatility of the amp tempting anyone?

I love the pedal but I still prefer the amp, probably just for the perk of being able to adjust the crossover points.

handofseven and EdBo like this.
  11. imdkoz

imdkoz Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2006
    Chattanooga, TN
    I'd love to "try" the dUg amp but I have no need for 1000 watts or almost $2000 to spend. The pedal does everything I was hoping it would do. :)

handofseven, K-2, EdBo and 2 others like this.
  12. mmon77

mmon77 Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2008
    Southern MN
    If it cost about half as much as it does, I'd consider getting one. I also don't need 1000 Watts, and I can't really justify that price for as often as I gig and make money off of it.

I am really loving the pedal though. I use dUg's settings as a starting point, and a little less "chunk". A big surprise for me is how much I like using it with my fretless. The pedal's "clank" at high drive settings is less pronounced without the frets, but it still has a nice dirty, cutting quality to it.

13. Fuzzbass

I think I'll always have a small itch for the dUg amp. I know it's more versatile than the pedal, but the pedal is more versatile than I expected it to be, so the end result is that I'm no itchier than before.

Another factor is my K.I.S.S. mindset: essentially I use a transparent amp, and prefer to use pedals as my crayons. This largely explains why I didn't buy a Darkglass amp head either, even though I love their pedals.

Ba55Man1ac, andrew and Guest of Honor like this.
  14. EdBo

EdBo

May 10, 2015
    Springfield, Ohio
    *Peace be with You*
    If I could afford the dUg Amp, I'd have got it years ago. It would be so much more versatile with the adjustable LowPass and HighPass Filters.

andrew and Guest of Honor like this.
  15. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Supporting Member

May 2, 2017
    Norman, OK / OU

Haha, after the first week with pedal I started looking into the dUg head. I'm using the DP-3X the same as if I were running everything into the dUg Ultra Bass head. Its a great ampless setup. However, If the dUg head was around 500w I already have one!

EdBo and andrew like this.
  16. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Good news! The dUg amp has a volume knob so you can turn it down to be as loud as a 500 watt amp. ;)

17. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Supporting Member

May 2, 2017
    Norman, OK / OU
    Edit: and if the price range was closer to my (wife approved) budget... I'd hate lose the dUg head in a divorce. jk Haha!

handofseven, K-2, andrew and 2 others like this.
  18. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Fair. :D

handofseven, Guest of Honor and EdBo like this.
  19. DistortedBass

DistortedBass Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Schecter Guitars Endorsee
    I'm not likely to buy the head, but it has gotten me interested in other options like the Brimstone pedals to see how they stack up and expanded control options

EdBo likes this.
  20. Fuzzbass

There are two Brimstone multiband pedals: XD-2 and Basilisk. I own the former; have not tried the latter. They both have one adjustable xo point, no compression, ability to distort lows and highs independently. The Basilisk can supposedly deliver gnarlier distortion, but I've been happy with the XD-2.

Darkglass is coming out with multiband pedals, possibly for summer NAMM: the Microtubes X series. Doug said today that there would be three versions. I love the dUg pedal, but I'm also interested in Darkglass' take.

The only other multiband OD I've tried is the VFE Triumvirate three-band. Cool pedal, but it's been out of production for years. It has a very big brother called the RUP (Rainbows Unicorns Puppies), also out of production.

handofseven and FaithNoMan like this.