1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 dUg Pinnick DP-3X Signature Pedal!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by mattattack187, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Oh. Don't tell me that.

mysteryclock, Fuzzbass and EdBo like this.
  2. NOLA Bass

NOLA Bass Mr. Worst Case Scenario Man Gold Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2005
    New Orleans LA
    Yep, that is how I feel!

FaithNoMan and EdBo like this.
  3. hbabels

hbabels Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Right!!!, just when I think I have all the dirt I need on my pedal board that’s out of room & swear that I’m not going to get a bigger one ....

4. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    Earth, Planet
    Lol, A few of us a had a bet about who would be the first to follow Tech 21's lead

Guest of Honor and EdBo like this.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Tech 21 did not invent multiband distortion. The more companies doing it, the better for us.

6. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    Having adjustable LPF and HPF on the DP-3X would be great... but I've never had much interest in the amp. It's too specialized for my taste, as I need a good clean sound most of the time, never mind the high price....

7. I guess that means Tech21 followed Brimstone's lead?

Darkglass, Brimstone, and Tech21 are all great companies with plenty of original ideas and sounds.

My Oxford fed into my Alpha-Omega get along like old friends.

Fuzzbass and GentProvocateur like this.
  8. DistortedBass

DistortedBass

Nov 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Schecter Guitars Endorsee
    I can definitely see myself going with a Brimstone, I just need to figure out which one is more to my liking. I wish there was an actual demo of the Basilisk somewhere, or someone close had an XD-2 I could rent!

9. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    Earth, Planet

Hahaha, I didn't say I won... But to be releasing a crossover distortion so soon after Tech 21 just did, I hope Darkglass took the time to invent something new or worked with someone like a Dug Pinnick, and its not just the vintage, b*k, or AO distortion circuits thrown in for the highs as I already had/have those for that use. Guess we'll see!

BTW: I was NOT in on the "happy accident" of DG news that follows

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  10. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

1) When is the Netflix documentary about this being released?
    2) I'm assuming it's called "Crossover Distortion"

11. Darkglass

Darkglass Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 10, 2008
    Helsinki, Finland
    Douglas Castro, Founder: darkglass.com
    Crap, I deleted the original post when realized it was on this thread, as I had another tab with the Darkglass club in it and got confused, didn't mean to impose any of my stuff in another company's thread, apologies for that.

We are actually filming and documenting everything nowadays, so yes, there probably will be mini-documentaries for new releases.

12. kevink

kevink Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2001
    Glendale, Calif.
    You may be in luck, PM me.

BTW love the dug pedal, it's knocked several others off my board.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  13. 12bass

12bass

Jan 2, 2003
    Victoria, Canada
    IMO, this forum is for bassists, not manufacturers. While I can't speak for others, I'm definitely interested in hearing about other crossover-based bass distortion devices which are similar to the DP-3X. So, if someone asks about it, I see no problem mentioning a new pedal you're working on.

Darkglass likes this.
  14. Savage_Dreams

Savage_Dreams

Jan 8, 2007
    for me it was never a question of wanting the amp or not, just the price tag attached. i could swear i saw someone mention the possibility of a rack preamp version of the head, that would be awesome and probably a nice bit cheaper than the amp.

Guest of Honor, EdBo and mmon77 like this.
  15. Guest of Honor

Guest of Honor

May 2, 2017
    That was a very strangely timed coincidence there

imdkoz likes this.
  16. Guest of Honor

Guest of Honor

May 2, 2017
    Quick question. The DP-3X replaced a B7KU, which I was just able to sell. I've found an OCSD in stock available for immediate shipping. If I order by 5 it'll be here Sat! Have you had any success or tried pairing the dUg with the OCS yet? I'm really finding a sound I like from stacking drives with the DP-3X but I'd like to get away with adding in a bit more Chunk, its like the special sauce in the recipe, without getting too harsh. Does the OCSD work like IR's or High Low Pass Filter in smoothing out the harsh edges?

EdBo likes this.
  17. Fuzzbass

I understand what you're saying. I will try running DP3X into OCS tonight (my band practice was canceled), but I can tell you that the OCSD should do what you want it to do: it essentially has variable highpass and lowpass filtering built in. The High Response knob works as the lowpass filter, with a bit of a bump at the filter point I believe. You should be able to use it dial back the harshness just the way you like.

Edit: If you haven't already, try rolling back the passive tone control on your bass if it has one. Active cut/boost treble controls don't cut as much high end as passive tone controls do.

And yeah, the OCSD is kinda like an IR that you can tweak on the fly, although in a limited way.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    Guest of Honor likes this.
  18. Guest of Honor

Guest of Honor

May 2, 2017
    Ok, I wasn't clear on the High Response control. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks for the quick reply!!

19. Fuzzbass

Ran OCS into DP3X DP3X into OCS into my little Fender Rumble 40 1x10 combo. Played my active Nordstrand bass with Nordstrand preamp, but it doesn't sound very active if y'know what I mean. Kept EQ flat on amp and bass.

I set up the OCS for flat response compared to bypassed (nearly flat, anyway) -- and then bypassed it. I wanted to start from flat when I engaged it.

I then set up the dUg with max Drive, and also some Treble boost (I normally cut it a bit). I did not turn down Chunk. The resulting tone was too harsh and tinny for my taste.

Then I engaged the OCS and started tweaking. First, I rolled back the High Response (LPF). I began to notice less harshness when it got close to noon, but I kept rolling back. I thought the nicest result was at 9 o'clock, but even rolling all the way ccw to "Dark", there was still plenty of grind. Note that the OCS High Response won't go nearly as dark as a passive tone control on a bass, but I don't think you'd need more than it'll give you.

Even with the harshness rolled off, there wasn't enough low end from the dUg -- again, because the high/low balance was off. Normally I would have rolled back Chunk, but as it turns out, maxing out Cab Size and boosting Resonance on the OCS delivered plenty of booty. Got a very cool tone from the dUg!

I briefly tweaked the mid controls on the OCS -- they aren't hugely powerful: Punch is boost only at 800Hz, and Mid Response is cut-only at 450Hz (I think) -- but both could have significant impact.

The OCS is a cool unit. Lots of players love tweaking OD with it, and it adds a whole bunch of useful tweakability to the dUg. I think it'll give you what you're looking for... and if you get it, I hope it actually does!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
    Guest of Honor and EdBo like this.
  20. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    Did you really have the OCS before the DP3X? Seems backwards.

- John

EdBo likes this.