1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 Fly vs. Trace E. Transit B vs Valeton Dapper

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chandman1004, Feb 14, 2018.

1. chandman1004

chandman1004 Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    I really would like one of these three to be a mini pedal that I could use to take to practice and not have too much to carry. However, I am not sure if any get a "vintage" type tone. I know what a sansamp sounds like, modern , kind of scooped. However, no idea what a Trace sounds like, and definitely have not heard a Valeton. There are a few videos of these, but all seem to be pretty bright sounding settings.
    Right now I use a Mesa Subway preamp, TC Corona chorus and a MXR m87 compressor.

Can any of these be dialed in to a similar vintage-y sound?

2. chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    Forgot to mention, not really interested in a Zoom. Just to many settings to fiddle with.

3. TodaysTomSawyer

TodaysTomSawyer Supporting Member

The Tech 21 VT Bass DI (any version) will give you great "vintage" tones. Tech 21 Sansamp is more modern but can get great results utilizing the Blend knob. Not sure about Trace Elliot or Valeton

4. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I had the tech21, and sent it back. I have the Dapper, and like it. If you're not looking for that sansamp grind, the Dapper is great. I much prefer the effects on this one over the Bass Fly Rig. I have not tried the Trace.

SpanishDave and Rumbles like this.
  5. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    The Sansamp on the Fly Rig is the VT Bass circuit which with the Character knob you can achieve anywhere from classic SVT tones, flip top and modern sounds.

Nunovsky and Guest of Honor like this.
  6. chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    Interesting on it being the VT bass circuit on the fly. Would not expect have expected that.

7. Agosix

Agosix Supporting Member

May 7, 2013
    Woodhaven NY
    May want to consider a Boss GT1B

8. chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    So I got the Valeton Dapper based on cost, 169 on Amazon right now. After one short practice , I actually was a little surprised at the sound. Not sure about the Q or the octave yet, but the compressor actually seemed to work and the amp section improved the sound. I will update some more with more use .

SpanishDave and Rumbles like this.
  9. chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    Dirty Q is useless for me, but maybe someone might use it for something.....Chorus is OK, just wish it had a little more control. For me , the compressor, tuner and eq/bass amp section work well enough for me to keep it.
    One thing I have found.. while tuning , hit the note..adjust...mute.. hit the note again.

BassikLee likes this.
  10. chandman1004

Jun 28, 2008
    Two things would make it even better...a line input for practice and -10 pad.