Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 give more grunt?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Vinpaul, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    Hey everyone just a quick inquiry. Say I got a GK 1001rbII of the Thundefunk 550 and wanted a bit more warmth or grunt wound it be cool to add the tech 21 sansamp deal and would that work? Is it like a pre amp or what? Sorry dont know much about it as you can tell. thanks, I play in a loud rock band and was just wondering if that could be an option if one of those two amps couldnt give me enough grunt, especially since that if I decide to go with the thunderfunk I cant test it out first I buy it and then gets send to me

2. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Depends what you mean by "grunt". If you mean volume, or the ability to project low end at high volumes, no a sansamp (or any other preamp) can't do that. That is a combination of your head's power section and your speaker cabinet.

But if "grunt" is some kind of tonal adjective then you can probably get it. That's what preamps do: shape and alter the tone of your bass before it gets to the power amp section. The Sansamp is very good at adding tubesque sounds to cleaner sounding solid state amps: warmth, grit, growl, whatever you want to call.

So maybe, maybe not. It won't make an amp louder, but it might make your tone fuller and more suitable for a certain kind of sound, depending on what your looking for.

3. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    yeah thats what Im talking about, I realise it wont make it louder thats not what Im after, I didnt explain myself too well. I know all these words are real subjective, but by grunt I meant more warmth, bit of distortion maybe, to use on particular tracks. Also can this be turned on and off? And how would this compare to the MXR 80, which Ive just beens coping out on their website and looks pretty good, ability to blend in a nice bit of distortion on a heavy track, and leave it off and leavy my thunderfunk to possibly handle all the funky/clean tracks? What do you guys think?