Featured Tech 21 Introduces Version 2 of the Bass Fly Rig

Discussion in 'News & PR' started by TalkBass, Jul 14, 2021.

1. TalkBass

TalkBass News Poster

Mar 12, 2004
    With a Bass Fly Rig, you have an easily transportable solution to getting rich, expressive combinations you can use for any gig --on stage or in the studio, whether it’s around the corner or across the pond, whether the backline is top-drawer or bottom shelf. The indispensable, all-analog SansAmp heart is what makes a Tech 21 Fly Rig a true Fly Rig and enables you to go direct to a PA or studio mixers and computer interfaces.

With the Bass Fly Rig v2, you now have a choice of SansAmp Character modes: SansAmp Bass Driver DI for a variety of classic bass tube amp tones, or VT Bass DI with a more specific focus on Ampeg-style tones; Channel switching for different Drive and Level settings --go from clean to dirty, not-so-clean to not-so-dirty, or very dirty to downright nasty, or any other pairing in between; and an Effect Loop to facilitate incorporating additional outboard effects.

Other features include 3-band active EQ, compressor, chorus, octaver and fuzz. The Bass Fly Rig v2 also provides a chromatic tuner, XLR output, and 1/4-inch 4.7megOhm/10k Ohm padded input to deliver the full sound of piezos. Housed in a rugged, all-metal enclosure, the Bass Fly Rig v2 will easily fit in your gig bag or backpack. There are illuminated mini-controls to show active status, an included power supply, and metal footswitches and jacks. With the Bass Fly Rig v2, no arena is too large and no stage is too small. It has virtually everything you need and nothing you don’t. Just grab it and go.

Home – Tech 21 NYC

Tech21_BassFlyRig_v2.jpg

2. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    That could be ear candy, but it is a bit of an eyesore.

3. I wish they would have included a headphone out and aux in for practicing. :( It's a fly rig after all. I would think someone would want to practice with it in their hotel room?

4. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    Yup, also that's the solution to cruddy in-ear mix, which i've had my fair share of. I think that should be standard on multi-effects these days. Other than that, stellar job! It's covered all the basics!!

BoogieZK, DJ Bebop and BrentSimons like this.
  5. SteveFromBerlin

SteveFromBerlin

Jan 3, 2008
    Berlin
    For practise purposes, I for one don‘t think I‘ll ever need anything without bluetooth AUX input. So I think they made the right choice there. I don‘t really get why the blend and character knobs are missing as I thought it‘s the secret weapon of the BDDI / VTDI. But I have to try the V2 for sure! Love my DP-3X and am looking for a general purpose unit… comp, chorus, envelope, octaver and tuner with a cabsim DI out? I‘m in!

6. logdrum

logdrum A person! Supporting Member

Didn't the first version get lukewarm reception , had issues and not well regarded? I was inactive when it first came out. I wanted to get one but the reviews did not sound good then.

7. TreySonagras

TreySonagras

Aug 11, 2013
    Texas
    It kind of looks like a bag of Skittles.

4SG, DJ Bebop, Eric Huber and 3 others like this.
  8. dannnnn

dannnnn

Nov 14, 2007
    Beaufort, SC
    They just need to include a tuner with The Bass Driver and/or Bass VT and leave out the extras.

9. FronTowardEnemy

FronTowardEnemy It is better to go unnoticed, than to suck Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2006
    Chicago Illinois
    It was mostly the octave, fuzz and filter effects that people were not too happy with. The compressor is hit or miss with some as well.

The boost, Sansamp, tuner, and chorus are all useable and sound good. I found the compressor to be just OK, but it could also be used as a tone control as well.

I sold mine here on TB but the buyer wanted to return it, and I’m glad he did. I am keeping it just because it is a really great tool to have handy in my gig bag as a safe backup if needed.

10. I have VT Bass Deluxe. I would be hard pressed to get rid of if.

JES and BrentSimons like this.
  11. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I didn't see a variable high-pass filter. And for me that's a deal breaker.

12. With the skittles stuck on a fish, presumably a wide-mouthed bass what with all the bass-clefs-cum-fish-scales.

13. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    The octave, fuzz and filter are pretty horrendous.

Rottie Roo Roo and gotly like this.
  14. gotly

gotly

Jun 28, 2010
    Seattle, WA
    I use the Bass Fly Rig v1 as my only pedal and won't be buying v2. It's worse than v1 for my needs. Here's a big thread with my v2 wishlist Tech 21 Bass Fly Rig v2 wishlist

15. Al Krow

Al Krow

Jan 15, 2018
    London
    This is a really good point. I mean something as basic as a Zoom B1-4 offers aux-in and headphone-out, drum machine and a plethora of very usable fx and is great for home or hotel room practise. And it's not too shabby with a full band either!

Oh dear, that doesn't sound promising at all...

BrentSimons likes this.
  16. mrperkolator

mrperkolator

Jan 4, 2020
    TX
    I'm Tech21's target market with this one. I've got v1, and I'm happy with it. I'm not going to switch. (why remove character knob?) As a business point of view, this unit is marketed for us in the mediocre club. It has good eq, a DI, decent chorus, etc. It does several things that I would like, and all in one pedal. Admittedly, It is not the best at any of the included features. You can find a better pedal (even at Tech21) for each section. But again, this is for us mediocre players that generally play in church bands, and might turn on the octaver once a year. And that's usually to play the Kraken song from Hotel Transylvania for the kids. Seriously though, It's an excellent pedal for those of us who like simplicity. It does each of those functions fairly well. Even if I got good enough to need specific pedals, and I was gigging constantly, I'd keep this as a good back up.

I bought it because I needed a DI, and this one had more features than other DI's at my price point. This is what I would call an "mid" level pedal. Better than pedals directed to beginners, but also not at a professional level. I dont have professional money, so I'm happy with mine.

TLDR: Good pedal, not great pedal. Handy.

pisces_bass, junglejimuk, 4SG and 2 others like this.
  17. swarfrat

swarfrat

Sep 23, 2014
    Strike any sort of fuzz and substitute compressor and a HPF and call it a day. I don't get the proliferation of fuzzes in the bass world. It robs attack. Maybe it's fighting back against guitar players encroaching on your space with drop A0 tunings but it ends up being like Buggs Bunny and Yosemite Sam - Charge/Retreat!

18. Trailertrash74

Trailertrash74 Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2020
    Florence AL
    I contacted them about future units with reverb...they said it was not in their plans....sad!

19. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    New England
    I recently got the Ver.2 Fly rig.
    This is my first Tech 21 product and first time using
    a SansAmp. I bought this to integrate into my studio and
    to play gigs without an amp.
    Really like the sound and tone controls offer a good range.
    Built in tuner and 2 channels is a bonus.
    Only critique is the chorus switch doubles as a mute/tuner and
    makes a switching noise when turning that function off. Have not
    used it live yet but that may be a loud noise in a PA.

20. Isaac_James

Isaac_James

May 20, 2021
    Eugene, OR
    I bought the Fly Rig 2 recently. I've never used pedals or effects before now, so take my feedback with the appropriate grain of salt as I don't have other effects to compare it to... but here's my take on the unit.

GOOD: Solidly built, intuitive design (mostly). Knobs are smooth and very responsive, with no wiggle or looseness. Compressor does what I want it to, though I only like a tiny bit to smooth out my playing. I keep it turned down very low and always on. The Sansamp section is fantastic, I have a clean(ish) setting on channel 1, drive turned up just enough that it gets dirty if I dig in and play hard but stays clean if I play softly. Channel 2 is full on dirt and I love it. I mostly stick to the VT character setting, but the BDDI setting sounds nice in its own way too, if you're into that sound. Chorus and tuner do exactly what I want them to do. Everything all together in a compact box, for $300 is pretty awesome considering a Sansamp VT would be $230 just by itself. Having an effects loop in/out is also a nice touch if you want to add other effects or don't like some of the ones included (see below for more on that). And this is just me, but aesthetically I actually like the "bag of skittles" effect.

BAD: No option to use phantom power/battery, so I keep a power strip on a long cord in my gig bag, just in case. The power cord is 6' long but sometimes you want more than that, depending on where your plugs are located. As others have noted the Octafilter section is a little hard to dial in the right tone. I have a pretty good fuzz dialed in now, but it took some fiddling. Envelope filter is fine but nothing special. If I ever want that effect I'll probably get a separate pedal for it. The octave divider sounds awful on its own. Combined with the fuzz, it sounds alright. It's not really something I need so I view that part of the pedal as an extra thing to mess around with for fun, rather than a tool I will pull out on the regular. The main problem I have with it is that the effects tend to sound better with the compression turned higher than I want it for most other uses. So I MIGHT someday use it for recording a part, but I don't see that ever getting used in a live setting. I also wish it had a headphone out/aux in. I have those on my amp but it would be nice to have this as just a solo practice box!

Bottom line: For me, it does the things I want it to do well. It does a few extra things less well, but I don't care about those as much so I'm not bothered by that. I'm happy with it but your mileage may vary.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021