Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 Landmark 300 and 600 Good Amps???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mcrelly, Oct 14, 2003.

1. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Hi I'm hoping there are some people out there who have some hands-on experience with the tech21 Landmark 300 or 600.

Tell me your likes, dislikes, problems, unexpected suprises of these amps. also could you owners measure the rack depth of yours and weigh your amp? I think tech21's numbers on their website are WAAAAAYYY off they said the 300 is 16" deep when I measured it to be 10" rack depth?!?! anyway I'm hoping the 600 is not twice the weight of the 300 like they seem to indicate.

thanks

EDIT: after rereading my above post I think I came off a bit negative? I own and like very much my RBI preamp. I am STRONGLY considering a landmark 300 to replace my SWR 350/RBI rig. More tone options. I just wanted owners or others who have any information positive or negative that may be of great interest to myself especially. to help sway me to or away from the tech21 'heads'.

2. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    lets bump this up cause i'd like to hear what people have to say. Right now Im using my SABDDI as a preamp and my Ampeg B2r as its power source. So why shouldnt I look into these heads. Its a shame that noone around me carries them and I'm like 20 mins from NYC where Tech21 is located. I did play out of a 600 at Ludlow Guitars in the lower east side but they were closing in 10 minutes and they didnt let me turn it up. I think this head and a 6x10 would rock. Anybody?

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'd be interested in hearing about this as well... I considered a Landmark 60 combo,, for the same reasons... but never could find one in my area...

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I have a friend who uses the landmark60 at home and loves it. he has the wedge model (10") I personally didn't like the 10" tone, but the newer version is a non-wedge 12" combo. That could sound very interesting!

The thing I like about the RBI or sansamp technology is it can take a crappy sounding amp or bass and make it sound BETTER, more listenable.

its like american express..."Don't leave home without it!" sorry 70's tv commercial. I have a hard time playing through ANY mid priced amps without the RBI.

5. lawndart

lawndart

Oct 4, 2003
    Northern NJ
    tip top ya dont stop.

6. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    hey i am bumping this thread because i am considering getting one...so anyone have anything to share about them?

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Hey MO,

I'm going to try a LM300 on a gig not this weekend, but the next and I'll let you know what I think. I've played with one in the store, but not on a gig yet. I really like my RBI and the flexibility of the LM series amps is very tempting, but I'm just waiting to really put it through its paces.

8. Bump.
    I'm a SansAmp PSA-1 player (both bass and guitar) and like to know more about these amps...

9. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Phyrexian, is it true the PSA-1 sounds ALOT better than the samples on the website? Is it easy to use? How would you compare it with the RBI for bass stuff?

thanks

10. Mcrelly,

I haven't played the RBI yet so I cannot compare it with the PSA-1.

It is VERY true that the PSA-1 sounds a thousa nd times better in reality than those soundclips. Its sound is way more direct and tighter... ballsier also.

It seems easy to use on a first look, but you have to watch out what you do. The knobs are very sensitive... a little is a lot.

Compared to the RBI the PSA has way more distortion available. You can make your bass sound like chainsaw on steriods if you know what I mean.
    The PSA-1 takes quite some time to know good. I mean, i have this preamp for 9 months now. I thought about selling it after 4 or 5 months and now I'm very happy I didn't sell it. When you take your time to learn how this device works you can get very good results.

A great plus over the RBI is the programmability. You need two or three sounds in your set? Just program them and switch between sounds... very easy.

More questions?

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Well, I tried the Tech21 Landmark 300 head this past weekend. I like the tone choices, but disappointed (no suprise ;) ) in other aspects.

again the 300 is 300w into 4 ohms min. its basically an BDDI and Acoustic DI in one box with the power amp, solid state. I really liked the sounds I got out of the acoustic DI channel. you could also combine the two channels to get a unique tone. with my Aguilar GS-112s the sound was pretty heavy with the bass at 12 o'clock. the BDDI channel had a fatter warmer sound than channel two. the first channel had drive, bass, treble, presence, blend and level. channel two had drive, bass, mid, mid shift 170-3.5k, treble and level.

I preferred the acoustic channel because it was brighter and had the mid shift adjustment. I used the 1st channel on slower heavier songs.

THINGS I DIDN'T LIKE: the 300 watts with my G&L Pbass SB-1 was maybe not as loud as I could possibly need in the future. I ran the volumes about 3/4 most of the time and the drives about 1/4. the guitar was almost wide open. I still seemed to have alot of volume, but it felt like I was close to running out. I experienced a weird snapping sound through my amp and cabs. the room is, however, notorious for static in the electrical and PA. Unlike my RBI the LM300 did NOT have a XLR level control OR dry output to xlr or 1/4".

OVERALL: a great SS amp for lower volume gigs or small rooms. Flexible tone. nice variable fan. I'll have to try it again on stage before I'd buy.

THINGS I'D CHANGE: add XLR level control, add dry out option tied into level control. Beef up amp or gain circuit a little...400w? the 600w head is WAAAY to heavy for me, but I think would be nice amount of power.

12. I purchased a Tech 21 Landmark 600 used approximately 1 year ago. At the same time, I bought an Ampeg 1540 cab that the guy was running with the Landmark 600 head.

My band is blues/funk/classic rock based. We just retooled and will be gigging again soon. Forgive me if my recollection of my rigs sound is a little vague. I play a Tobias Killer B 5 string (love it!!!). Fingerstyle, with a little snap/slap.

I like the sound options of the amp head (for the most part), and it can nicely emulate a tube amp. I don't run any effects thru it (why bother), and have the foot switch that can switch between the 2 channels. Many times I run both channels at the same time (only available with the foot swith - which is sold as an accessory), giving me my own sound. I have gigged with it in small/medium clubs, and I cut thru just fine. I will also run it direct to the board for a better mix out in the audience.

My biggest concern/frustration with the rig is that I get a big boomy bass (almost marshmallow-like, which I hate). I am trying to work with different settings, like playing my bass passive rather than active, tweeking the bass/mid settings, etc... I love that air-moving, move your shirt bottom end, while still being punchy and full. I don't know if the problem lies in my amp settings, in my cabinet, which is a 4x10 and 1x15 combo, and a beast at that (rated for 1200 watts?!?). The head seems punchier thru the Ampeg SVT 410HLF. I have the tweeter off on my 1540, as the amp along with my bass kicks a ton of highs (tech 21's 410 has no tweeter for that reason)

I go into Guitar center, and play my bass thru the Ampeg SVT Pro 4, and the 410HLF cab, and love the sound (in the store that is)... so I am struggling. I like the setup I have ( tho I must ge a glutton for punishment - as my rig weighs a TON), I just seem to have a problem getting it dialed in to "my sound". I actually love a latin punchy sound (Santana's "Smooth").

I have also been getting some hiss noise... will try to figure out whats up with that.

As I gig more with it, I will try to write another post. I just came across this site today, so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

13. matt_day

matt_day

Jan 3, 2004
    Plymouth, MN
    I purchased an LM300 and the Tech 21 B410 Cab last june (2003) and I love it. The versatility and tone of the amp were what convinced me to buy it. I suppose the power may not be enough for some, but it is enough for me, at least for now. The cab has an amazing amount of bottom end for a 4x10 and doesn't have an annoying tweeter to make it sound thin. I think that for the money you spend on the amp, and cab if you choose, (about $1300 for both) it would be very difficult to get any thing that sounds as well as this amp and cab do.

14. A little question about those Tech 21 cabs:
    Are those basscabs also 'full-range' like Tech 21's guitar cabinets?

15. matt_day

matt_day

Jan 3, 2004
    Plymouth, MN
    I believe that they are. They really deliver great bottom end, more than most 4x10 cabsI've ever played through. The response is very even throughout the whole tonal-spectrum, you get punchy highs that don't sound "nasal" like some cabs with tweeters do. That's on top of the earth-shaking lows.
    Another really cool feature of the head is that you can mix the two channels with the footswitch and can dial in raspy, slightly distorted highs, but still get silky-smooth lows. The head is extremely versitile, it is sure to satisfy your tonal needs no matter what style you play.