TECH-21 LANDMARK 600 - Vs. - Aguilar AG500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Jun 22, 2005.

1. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    Two heads that are designed to do basically the same thing....both from very well respected makers....both with similar layout, power etc.........

now ignoring the obvious size and weight difference (2U - 3U)
    (18 lb - 38lbs)

what are everyone's thoughts?

Fairly apples to apples comparo so would love to get into the dirt of it........ which one has broken down on you? which one feels stronger than its rated output? which one plain sucks?

now I expect this thread to quickly degenerate into name calling and and verbal food-fighting, so try and be nice ......
  2. do you like the sound of your BDDI straight into a power amp?

(theres half of the landmark 600' sound)
  3. pablomigraine

pablomigraine Commercial User

Feb 9, 2005
    New York
    VP & Managing Director - Willcox Basses
    for certain shows, i do run like so:

bass --- sanamp --- effects return

But I tried the Aggie this past weekend........whoa

the clean section is incredible

the disto section seems to have all the sanamp sounds...

looking to see if who's had what experiences with both or either...?
  4. How about you get the aggie? if the sound blew you away?

And you'll still have your BDDI right? so you'll still be able to get that sound, makes sense to me
  5. I haven't tried the landmark, but I used to use the bddi into my eden head when I needed some dirt. Since I've bought the ag500 I haven't touched my bddi, I just don't need it anymore. Of course, I still think that the eden (wt800) is a better overall head cause it's so much more flexible, but the ag500 is perfect for what I use it for.
  6. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I own the the aggie and the rbi from sansamp. The Sansamp through a good power amp can sound very good. Overall, the Aggie has a much bigger bottom, top and is much more focused. The sansamp is a backup to the aggie. But I agree, you can get similar sounds as long as your using a compressor.
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    being a avid tech21 and aguilar user it is sort of hard for me to admit that I may have made a mistake in building a second tech21/stewart rig. For my taste I have found that at lower volumes the rbi/stewart is not as warm as I'd like for quieter more intimate situations, especially solo practice at home. I feel, no in home proof, that the ag500 head would sound more pleasing at in-home volumes and possible hold its own in a moderate to loud band setting especially if I had two gs112s to connect.

I must confess that I head the Landmark 300 again at the store through the tech21 410 and I was not impressed. way back I tried the landmark 300 on a gig with two gs112s and it sounded ok, but possibly did not have the headroom to get above 110db with much punch left over.

Currently I'd vote AG500!!! until they come out with a more powerfull or lower load handling "AG1000" :hyper: :hyper:

p.s. they aren't planning on a AG1000 as far as I know, but it would be :cool: