Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 Landmark 600

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mark35mi, Jan 3, 2004.

1. I purchased a Tech 21 Landmark 600 used approximately 1 year ago. At the same time, I bought an Ampeg 1540 cab that the guy was running with the Landmark 600 head.

My band is blues/funk/classic rock based. We just retooled and will be gigging again soon. Forgive me if my recollection of my rigs sound is a little vague. I play a Tobias Killer B 5 string (love it!!!). Fingerstyle, with a little snap/slap.

I like the sound options of the amp head (for the most part), and it can nicely emulate a tube amp. I don't run any effects thru it (why bother), and have the foot switch that can switch between the 2 channels. Many times I run both channels at the same time (only available with the foot swith - which is sold as an accessory), giving me my own sound. I have gigged with it in small/medium clubs, and I cut thru just fine. I will also run it direct to the board for a better mix out in the audience.

My biggest concern/frustration with the rig is that I get a big boomy bass (almost marshmallow-like, which I hate). I am trying to work with different settings, like playing my bass passive rather than active, tweeking the bass/mid settings, etc... I love that air-moving, move your shirt bottom end, while still being punchy and full. I don't know if the problem lies in my amp settings, in my cabinet, which is a 4x10 and 1x15 combo, and a beast at that (rated for 1200 watts?!?). The head seems punchier thru the Ampeg SVT 410HLF. I have the tweeter off on my 1540, as the amp along with my bass kicks a ton of highs (tech 21's 410 has no tweeter for that reason)

I go into Guitar center, and play my bass thru the Ampeg SVT Pro 4, and the 410HLF cab, and love the sound (in the store that is)... so I am struggling. I like the setup I have ( tho I must ge a glutton for punishment - as my rig weighs a TON), I just seem to have a problem getting it dialed in to "my sound". I actually love a latin punchy sound (Santana's "Smooth").

I have also been getting some hiss noise... will try to figure out whats up with that.

As I gig more with it, I will try to write another post. I just came across this site today, so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.