1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 Oxford (Orange amp) on bass: wow!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by birminghambass, Jan 15, 2017.

1. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    Not much info on this pedal for bass so I thought I'd try one. I own the BDDI (both versions), VT Bass, Blonde, B3K, Aftershock, and BB pre. Love them all but I needed more "clank" in my life. The B3K with the BDDI got me close to what I wanted but not quite. Well the Oxford is everything and more! Tons of raunchy grind available, I've never cut through my guitar players space so easily. I don't care for the heavier distorted tones but just a sight bit of OD, think Geddy meets Billy Gould. Sounds fat and grindy fingerstyle and just slays with a pick. I'll spend some more time with it, try to get some good clean tones out of it...

2. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I wondered what the Oxford would sound like with a blend knob, or the fx blend on the Ampeg PF's, for instance. Glad to hear you like it

3. I've been a proponent of this pedal for a long time on here. It slays the VT Bass for clank, and it has this "grunt" very reminiscent of Billy Gould.

Welcome to the club.

P.S. - Tech21 needs to build on/keep making this pedal, rather than discontinuing it:(

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
  4. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    That pedal sounds awesome on bass. another pedal that sounded great is the joyo orange juice. I consider that pedal to be like an affordable alternative to the tech 21 oxford. that pedal has a killer grinding sound on bass.

5. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    It could do with some tweaks though, you have to push the bass knob quite high but it ends up boosting too much above 100Hz. I bet Mr Putnam could fit a toggle switch to drop the frequency lower.

6. lemueldave

lemueldave

May 10, 2016
    I like how my VT Bass DI is not too clanky unlike their flagship pedal, but to each his own, I guess. And I read somewhere that Billy Gould's tone greatly benefited from a torn speaker cone. Isn't that cool?

birminghambass likes this.
  7. The torn speaker cone was for the distorted riff in "Zombie Eaters" I have the '91 Bass Player article with Billy's interview where he says that. And the clank is different on the VT. It is undesirable to me, as it is too high pitched and sounds like a "CLACK" more than a "GANK" sound(the metallic sounds like Billy's or Jesus Lizard). I'm also talking about the grunt it produces, of which the VT does not. That grunt can be dialed out for a very smooth sound as well, though.

Speaking of clank and grunt, I think the new Darkglass Alpha Omega may sound even more like this, though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    Atter likes this.
  8. Here it is.

And here's the Zombie Eaters riff years before The Real Thing came out with the torn speakers, I imagine:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2017
    gregmon79 and JCooper like this.
  9. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    Ok I'm going insane FaithNoMan!!
    Haha no really as you know I'm in the search for that Billy Gould tone and trying to get my poopie together. How is the low end with the Oxford and what other tones can you get from it? Just wondering if it's versatile I guess or should I get a blower box cause I think I'm torn between those two

FaithNoMan likes this.
  10. birminghambass

birminghambass Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Birmingham, AL
    It's ok, not super low. More about clank and cut. You can get a huge low-mid distortion as well. Not all that versatile for bass, but still awesome. The BB has a bit of a mid scoop at lower gain, I don't think they sound anything alike.

Seanbassplayer likes this.
  11. Seanbassplayer

Seanbassplayer

Oct 14, 2016
    That's ok I don't want super low just want a bit of beef to it and not thin sounding. From the demos I heard for the BB it sounded like I could get a Billy Gould type tone at lower gain but again I'm listening through my phone lol... Guess I'll go back and listen through headphones which might be a good idea before I drop a couple hundred bucks on a dirt pedal haha. On the other hand you can get the jist of the pedal from the phone

12. I'd wait and get the Alpha Omega. I'm not sure how much the Blower Box is, not have I played it...only seen Mr Excanes demo. It sounds "flatter?" than the A/O but it's hard to tell everything from a demo.
    I sold my Oxford a while back and regretted it though. So even if I like the Alpha Omega more I probably will not sell my Oxford a 2nd time. I listened to clups of the A/O and think it has the grind of the B3K up top with the grunt of the Oxford down low.

If you decide to go Oxford, they are cheap and there is zero low end loss. They have prodigious amounts of bottom.

13. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    You've turned me on to this pedal for what, almost since I joined TB. I know most dont really dig it or pay it any mind, but I would love to try one. Maybe I'll find one used soon if my tax return permits. I have some other things on my list first, but this will get added.

FaithNoMan likes this.
  14. Indiedog

Indiedog

Aug 23, 2012
    Tucson, AZ
    For bass? I had no idea.

I own the pedal (I won the thing in a contest!). But I have only used it on my geetar. I will now try it on my basses. How cool! Thanks for the tip!

I love TalkBass!

15. mattattack187

mattattack187 Bass Enthusiast Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Ellsworth, ME
    I've always liked Orange Amps but just never had a reason for needing one to put down that much cash. I've been enjoying the JohnK Orange pedal but am curious about trying this one as well.

16. dmc79

dmc79

Mar 29, 2006
    UK
    This pedal sounds interesting for grindy OD. All the YouTube clips seem to be on guitar - any bass clips of this around?

17. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    I just received my Joyo Orange Juice today.

Haven't tried it out yet, but tomorrow I am going to try it out with my amp setup at the first rehearsal with a band I just formed with some friends of mine.

So quite looking forward to that.

ukedealer likes this.
  18. odrive

odrive

Jan 30, 2017
    FWIW, the Leeds (Hiwatt) also sounds great with bass for fat clean tones.

Fuzzbass, gillento and birminghambass like this.
  19. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    .... and also for driven sounds!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  20. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Would love to hear your feedback on it. Im thinking I will try one out. Either that or the golden face(marshall)