1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 Q Strip vs Empress ParaEQ

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RedWire75, Nov 7, 2018.

1. RedWire75

RedWire75 Supporting Member

May 4, 2017
    St. Louis, Missourah
    Hi all,

I have my eye on both of these as a solution to my EQ issue (amp only has one band of mid EQ).

My question is, if I’m just using it for EQ is the Q Strip overkill? Should I keep it simpler with the ParaEQ. They’re both the same price new. The Q Strip does have the additional HPF/LPF filters which could be nice but are not adjustable.

Current signal chain is just a Diamond Bass Comp Jr. into a Fender Bassman 800.

2. I was thinking about this as well, and the Empress is winning out for me bc of the Q control. I had one with even more Q control before but it was hard to repeat settings (WMD parametric pedal).
    I think both are a fine choice, though. The Tech21 looks like it can do speaker simulation better.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  3. cavemanbass

cavemanbass

Nov 5, 2010
    shout out to anyone at Empress that may be listening - you should add adjustable HPF / LPF to your already excellent EQ and make it even more excellent!

FaithNoMan, wmmj, plaidgoat and 6 others like this.
  4. adam on bass

adam on bass

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    If the Empress had all the routing functions of the Q Strip I’d say it was the perfect pedal. I just ordered my first Q Strip to try it out and make a review video. I have owned 3 different ParaEq pedals at different times for my P Basses and they are stellar but lack the connectivity I crave.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  5. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    I cannot comment on the Empress but I have a Q Strip and I am really happy with it. And although the filters are not adjustable they are still a great function on the unit, and that is better than not having any at all.

CapnSev likes this.
  6. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    As stated, some want more out of the q strip filters, but they do a pretty darn good job as is. I wouldn’t want the LPF set any higher, and the HPF does just enough to really tighten up a subwoofer nicely.

Briton likes this.
  7. thumbslapper

thumbslapper Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2007
    San Francisco
    they are hard to get but you should put hte Broughton Messenger in this mix as well, not much of a price difference.

https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/messenger

also semi parametric, sounds very transparent (ie not a "coloring" eq). clean DI, ability to use it as a preamp in front of a power amp very easily.

-carl

8. nateynate

nateynate Gold Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2011
    Oxford, MS
    I can chime in on the Empress. It is a great pedal and very flexible. I use it in a rig with a Noble Preamp, Cali76-TX, and a micro-Thumpinator. It gets used on upright and electric, and I sometimes even use it on guitar through the same rig (Noble sounds good on anything).

I really like the ParaEQ because of the amount of control over bands, and also the boost. It comes in very handy when switching basses, even if you don't use the EQ. Set it flat and you have clean boost at your toes.

9. Briton

Briton

Apr 4, 2009
    London,England
    Tech21 Q\Strip.