1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 Red Ripper

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by srxplayer, May 22, 2011.

1. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Anyone using the the Red Ripper yet? It looks interesting and the description sounds like what I'm looking for. I need a replacement for my current Boss ODB-3.

2. Cshanks5

Cshanks5

Feb 20, 2011
  3. I've had one for a month or so and really rate it. I actually prefer it to to the oxide fuzz:bag:

It doesn't have a blend but it comes with the most powerful eq I've ever used on a pedal - cuts right through the mix.

Although for me its not really a 'true' fuzz, more of a cranked distortion.

4. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Had one about 2 weeks now, love it and still tweaking.

5. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Do you mean you use it more like a hi-gain distortion or is that all it's capable of? I can live without the blend.

None of the local stores (including GC and Sam Ash) have them in stock for me to try. I really like what Tech-21 does and I get a good overdrive sound out of my Sansamp but I want something similar with more edge and I like the idea of the Moog like synthy effect. How do those moog style effects work for you?

6. Its difficult to describe exactly but it rides that fine line between extreme, cranked distortion and fuzz. Other fuzz's I've used inc the B:assmaster, Musket and Oxide can get way more mental but that's what I like about the Ripper - it can get quite brutal without losing much definition.

7. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    judging by what I've seen on youtube, it sounds similar to a prunes & custard when the rip knob is cranked.

8. mrekoj

mrekoj

Feb 17, 2009
    Is it in the same league is aguilar
    agro pedal ??
    Any comparison review to share ??

9. ripman3

ripman3

Dec 30, 2009
    Bump.

I'm still considering this pedal. How does it perform in a live setting?

10. No its nothing like the Aguilar agro. I A/B'd the Ripper with the Source Audio Bass Mulitwave Distortion and I owned a Crowther Prunes & Custard.

The Red Ripper beats the P&C, but the Multiwave is seems to do everything the ripper does and alot more. and its cheaper.

Theres nothing wrong with the ripper, but i dont know why I would spend extra on that over the Multiwave.

11. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    Not much on this thing out there is there...? I pulled the trigger and getting one tommorow and I'll write up a review soon after.

12. I thank you, i'm a big fan of tech 21 pedals. Haven't been disappointed yet and I like to stick with what I know. Currently own a 3-channel bassdriver and an xxl bass, man what a sweet combo. Had my eye on a boost chorus and the red ripper (even if it's a little too much, I still want it for a late-night insomnia distraction). I eagerly await another opinion of this thing :)

13. asdaf

asdaf

Dec 26, 2010
    Canada
    I tried one out several months ago. I found that it depends on what kind playing you do that'll determine its value. In my opinion, this pedal reaches it's full potential when played at a loud volume. I play at church, so the pedal wasn't gonna work for me. But if you play in a loud Queens Of The Stone Age type rock band, than this is your kind of pedal.

Driven Crane likes this.
  14. I've now got one of these on the way. Hopefully it will fit the bill for a somewhat unusual, yet useful overdrive.

15. Sunnburn

Sunnburn Supporting Member

Jan 4, 2008
    Dayton, Oh
    This is what I've been waiting to hear. I have a Multiwave that I love for its "envelopeness". The red ripper and P&C have peaked my interest for awhile, but I've been worried that all three might be crossing into the same territory.

16. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
  17. Karnivool_305

Karnivool_305

Jun 22, 2011
    Iv heard its analogue, will it still work with the B-string on my fiver?

18. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Analog or not has NOTHING to do with whether it works with a low B.

19. It´s not an octaver ;) . Should (I don´t dare to say "WILL") work perfectly on low notes.