Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 SA RBI vs. BBE BMAX

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jmann, Feb 2, 2004.

1. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I want opinions... I am going to get a preamp for my birthday, & i have narrowed it down to the SA RBI or the BBE BMAX. I am looking for a nice warm midrange clean tube sound & a great tube OD. which one of these would be best for my tonal desires?

2. You won't get overdrive with the BBE BMax

3. If you really want 'great tube OD', don't opt for the BMax. The BMax-T does tube overdrive better...but I don't think either does everything you want better than the RBI. A/B both of them, if you can, and you'll see what I mean.

4. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    thanks! i will most likely get the RBI

5. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    The SS BMAX won't give you OD (like everybody is saying)...but it's got the freakin' deepest/fullest bottom end I've heard. It's very full---and having the on-board sonic maximizer is kinda nice too. But if you're looking for tube-type stuff I'd consider others...

6. I've had both the RBI and the BMAX. The RBI imho is a much harsher soundind preamp in comparison to the BBE. The BMAX is very clean and deep sounding. What I did for the OD was get myself a Tubeworks 903 ($99.00 @ American Music Supply) and now I have the best of both worlds. BTW, I just upgraded to the BMAX-T and all I can say is WOW!!!

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks

7. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    oh...just stick the knife in and twist... :D :D

as if I needed anymore GAS right now... :hyper:

8. "oh...just stick the knife in and twist... "

Geeze.......beat me up whydoncha'. :crying:
    Don't hate me 'cause I'm tubey...... :D :D

9. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    no worries bro...no hatin' going on here...just green cause I know how much bottom my SS version has---the tube version must be even sweeter! I shall try to not covet thou preamp---but it'll be tough :D :D