Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 Sans Amp Bass Driver. BEST WAY TO USE IT?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by vesterbass, Nov 14, 2005.

1. vesterbass

vesterbass

May 30, 2005
    I have a the tech 21 sans amp bass driver pedal and a Hartke VX3500 combo amp. I want to get an warm tube sound, something like an SVT. I play an american p bass and a corvette vester. My ideal tone is that of justin chancellor of tool. I'm boosting the lows and cutting the highs while adding some presence and the drive i have set at 12 o clock, but whats the best way to set up the contour and graphic EQ on my head? Suggestions and comments will be appreciated. Does anyone have a similar rig?

2. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    try running the sans amp directly into your amp's efx loop (bypassing your head's preamp). This will let you control everything about the sound from the sans amp.

Or just leave the EQ flat. Try to do as little EQing on your amp and more on the sans amp (if you're using it as a preamp and not a stompbox, which it sounds like you are)

Buy new stainless steel strings. Justin chancellor tone is hard to get.

3. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I dial in the amp to get a good, basic, clean bass sound ... then use the BDDI as a stomp box to kick in that SVT style grind when I want it.

For settings on the BDDI I dial in the bass an treble for a small amount of boost (around 2 o'clock) to scoop the mids a little, turn up the drive until it just teeters on the edge and breaks up only when I hit a really hard note, bring up the presence just shy of where it becomes brash and metallic, then play with the blend until it sounds right, somewhere around 50/50 for my taste. You may like more drive and blend if you really want to grind.

4. I use the amps EQ aswell as the BDDI, hell, i turn the pedal off to get that SVT tone ;)

Anyway, one thing that REALLY helps with the BDDI is to turn the blend dial down to 25-50% (9-12 o'clock) is best i find, i use the drive just about 1 oclock and the prescence about 12, the bass and treble usually about 12, just a tad before usually

5. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    First, put this in front of the EQ section of your amp (unless you want a lot of noise, in which case you can put it after the EQ). Second, the manual gives you an SVT setting (or at least mine does). So start with that, and adjust to see which works with your setup. Very small adjustments of the drive make a lot of difference in the 'tubiness'