1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

tech 21 sans amp GT2

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by p58, Apr 7, 2006.

1. p58

p58

Dec 17, 2005
    Slovakia
    does someone have this one?
    would you recommend it as a pedal that can be used as a distortion on stage and as a DI for some home recording?
    thanks

2. Probably a bad choice, because it doesn't have a DI output. Strictly an effect. But I use one and it makes all of those screamy noises pretty well. Preserving the bottom end means California (Mesa) mode, with the bass control cranked.

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I used to have one of these. While it doesn't have a balanced XLR output, I was able to plug it into a 1/4" jack on my mixer for home recording without any problems. The output is strong enough.

4. p58

p58

Dec 17, 2005
    Slovakia
    thanks for answers, I donĀ“t need something professional for my home recording, I just wanted to get solid pedal with more options than classic distortion pedals that can be also used as a DI for home.nothing special:)

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    I've actually been curiours: do you guys/gals think it has a good distortion setting(s) for bass and really works out or not?

6. The GT-2 is a guitar box, no doubt. It does a great job at emulating everything from a Fender combo to a Marshall stack. I think as a distortion for bass it is more useful if you are after a Lemmy kind of sound (enourmous rhythm guitar) or for the guitar-half of your Entwistle setup. As I said, you really have to work to get it to not "suck bass". Also, it is an overdrive as opposed to a fuzz. So if you don't want that peaky overdriven sound then it is probably a bad choice too.

I understand that you can run the 1/4" out to a mixer (which would be acting as your DI via the line input), but the original poster asked about it as a DI, and it ain't a DI.

My use for it is more for simulated guitar and really noisy stuff where I might already have a bass part looped. Andother thing is that it has no blend control, so you can't use it to "touch up" the sound. As a result it can have that effect of making the bass really hard to hear when you engage it.

Here is a user page:
    http://milaa.tripod.com/SansAmpGT2/

Really, the better solution for a traditional bass distortion is one of the BassDriver/ParaDriver models. There you get the DI, blend, gain structure, and a better EQ section.

7. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    +1 on what fretlessrock said.

i have one also, i would only use it for niche sounds on bass. on guitar however, it's an outstanding pedal.

8. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    I have no problems with losing bottom end. I am using tweed mode for a slight overdrive. Actually it was my second OD pedal (1st was tech21 Classic). Just before i got my SA Bassdriver. But I still like the 2 guitarplayer, although I am a very picky guy regarding my sound :)