1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 Sansamp Bass.DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NickTej22, Oct 29, 2013.

1. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Who has one? What do you like about it? So far I noticed almost all of my favorite bassists in rock use it. I don't a used one for $99 and decided to put it on hold(since its not available until November 8th)

2. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Found a used one*

3. preside

preside

Aug 7, 2010
    Scottsdale Az
    Sound men love it when I pull out mine, they already know how to get a good tone from it and my part of the sound check goes fast. I find it does rob the mids a little bit but I don't notice once the full band starts up. It just helps your tone "sit" in the mix just right. I don't use the distortion very much so I can't comment on that. The most useful knob on it is the blend, a little of this thing goes a long way.

4. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    I have one that I use for recording direct in. So far, I'm not totally happy with it. The sound seems to lack midrange inpact. I wish it had a midrange control and, yes, I understand that the bass and treble knobs affect the mids indirectly.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    A quick search will yield a bunch of threads on this pedal, along with many other bass preamp /DI box /stomp pedals available today. The MXR M-80 is another option, and it has a mid control, and is more transparent than the Sansamps are.

6. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Might sound stupid, but what do you mean by "sound transparent"?

7. cableguy

cableguy

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I've had and used mine for close to two decades. I had Mike Putnum add a mid control to mine a few years back. Works great. The blend is key to the pedal. IMO Also don't get too drastic with the EQ and soundmen will dig it. I've run mine straight to FOH, in front of amps, and in front of just a power amp into the cab. Very versatile pedal. Even when I use my rack I carry the BDDI as a back-up.

8. The_Beast

The_Beast

May 2, 2009
    NY
    Had one & sold it about 10 years ago because I wanted to downsize my pedalboard. I wasn't playing as much. A few years ago I started playing a lot more & the Sansamp was the first pedal I bought & got it in the deluxe version. I will never get rid of it again! I have dialed in a real punchy, thumping tone with it.

9. MrMinstrel

MrMinstrel

Oct 17, 2013
    I've had one for over ten years and it is always in my gig bag. My settings are pretty boring: everything set to 12 o'clock. It isn't a stomp box; it's a DI! If the gig or jam room has a good PA, I leave my amp at home and plug into the house system.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Maybe try dialing down both bass and treble on the pedal and increase the level a bit, that would give you more midrange relative to the lows and highs.

11. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I used to use the BDDI. Liked it alot, but ultimately sold it because I wanted more control over my mids. Also I felt it compressed somewhat. That being said, I still think it's a great sounding and versitile pedal/DI overall.

I now use the MXR M-80.

12. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I love mine. It's a stomp box, it's a preamp, it's a DI....it's a swiss army knife for bass if you know how to use it.

I use mine as a preamp for upright bass. When I still did bass guitar gigs, I also used it as a pre/pedal in front of a Ampeg B100R.

13. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    Great for recording, I dont like it through my GKs but I loved it with my old Ashdown. I just listed one if anyone is interested,

14. Jepus

Jepus

Apr 1, 2004
    Edinburgh
    Loved mine but then I got a Darkglass B7K and it's better in every way (for me)

15. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    I can't wait, I got to mess with one for a few minutes, my local GC can't keep them in stock lol. I'm shocked I found a used one for $99

16. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    I just sold the programmable version. Not because I didn't like it, but because I wanted to fund another purchase.

The mid thing can be gotten around by cutting the bass and trebles and then compensating by going up with the level.

I liked the warm tubish tone, but I didn't usually run with much distortion. There is a wide variety of tones in this thing. I went for a more clear, warm tubish sound. Your mileage may vary. Try one out if you can before you buy it, but go into the effects return on the amp, or go direct, or drive a power amp for the best measure of what you think.

And there's always a market for used ones if you decide you don't like it.

Tech 21 is good USA made American ingenuity.

Cheers.

17. dStar

dStar

Mar 1, 2012
    Not to hijack the thread, but I think the ParaDriver DI is the bomb. Total control of those oh so important mids. Just sayin' ;)

18. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    What's the difference between the bass one and paradriver?

19. NickTej22

NickTej22

Feb 17, 2013
    Largo FL
    Bumps

20. Robus

Robus

Aug 25, 2013
    Chicago Area
    Anybody?