1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 SansAmp Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by plastik-bass[?], Feb 27, 2008.

1. this is most likely a noob question but i did a search and couldnt find anything...and im an extreme noob when it comes to pedals XD

I've been thinkin about gettin this thing when i get the $$ and i was wondering. does it have to be used as a DI for like ampless gigs or could i use it as a normal pedal/preamp/eq thing.. like put the EQ on my amp flat and use this for the EQ or would i just leave the EQ on my amp the same and just use this to change it more??

Thanks in Advance :bassist::bassist::bassist:

2. Indeed it can/does.

It has a DI output, a regular output, and a parallel output. The regular output takes the signal after the box has done its thing and feeds that to whatever you want (your amp, I'd guess), which is to say, any tone shaping the sansamp does will be included in that signal. The parallel output bypasses the sansamps tone shaping and just goes straight from the input back out again. So you could use it as your EQ for your amp if you want to, or not if you ever decide to swing that way.

And theres no reason you can't use the EQ on both it and your amp if you want.

3. oh god all this terminology is making me confused...i think i kinda get what your saying but is there any easier way to explain to me/show me....im sorry but when it comes to signal chains an all that i have no idea whats goin on

4. Haha, its simple:

You plug your bass into it (the input) and then you use the output to go to your amp. In this case, the sansamp will act as an EQ/tone shaper for your amp: any changes you make on the sansamp will be heard on the amp as well, just like what you wanted.

Alternatively, the sansamp also has a parallel output (another separate 1/4" jack) that completely ignores any of the changes the sansamp makes to your sound. So if you want to use the sansamp to shape the tone of the DI, but NOT the tone of your amp, you use this output to your amp instead of the normal output. This is th opposite of what you wanted, but worth mentioning so you don't use the wrong output.

Just remember, bass goes to the input. The box shapes your signal and sends that to the output. The output goes to the amp (or into the input of more pedals if you have em). Anything with a parallel output will ignore any of the tone shaping the box does to your signal.

5. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Id get it if I were you, it made my tone alot more solid, especially for drop D and stuff. Also adds a little bit of nice warm drive. =]

6. so the shaping the tone of the DI would be for plugging strait into the board right?

7. Hmm? The sansamp will shape the tone of the DI no matter what, I don't think you can ignore that. Thats for sending straight to the house PA. You can choose to have the same tone shaping going to your amp by using the the jack labeled "output". Or use the jack labeled "parallel output" so it only shaped the sound of the DI signal and not your amp signal.

8. AHH im still comfused...maybe im thinking DI means something different...which i probably am...explain this to me 1 more time and i think ill get it.... im soo close XD.... pardon my noobness but im just now starting to want to use effects to try and get my own "sound" and all this has become very confusing to me but im starting to get it

9. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    OK the DI is a microphone level XLR (3 pin) jack intended to be sent to a mixing board for a PA or for recording. This is presumably the original purpose of the Sansamp, hence the name. There are also two 1/4" jacks labeled "output" and "parallel out." The "parallel out " is an unaffected direct bass signal and the "output" is effected. Both of these are instrument level and suitable for input to a bass amp.

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    It's a great little buddy. Get it!!

11. The DI is that 3 pinned jack on the side where it says XLR output:
    [​IMG]

it is called xlr output because the cable that goes to that type of a socket is called an xlr cable, another common name is microphone cable. This is the cable that is sent to the "house", directly to the PA system. However, you do not NEED to use it for that, but it is a definite option. All the tone shaping that the box does will indeed get sent out the xlr output.

Next to that on the same picture is the "output", this is sent to your amp. It will contain all the tone shaping (as achieved with all the controls on the unit) that the unit has and send it to your amp.

Now, on the other side is the parallel output:
    [​IMG]

(keep in mind that the input is where you plug your bass into). You can use this output instead of the one stated above so send a "clean" signal to your amp. When we say clean, it means that it will ignore any effects the sansamp unit has on your tone, so it will send you bass signal straight through without being shaped by any of the units features. The reason for this is so you can send the effected signal to the PA via the xlr out, but send a clean signal to your amp. This means what comes out of the PA will have the sansamps influence whereas your bass amp will not.

Why you would want to have the crowd hear something different that what you hear? I have no clue, and 90% of people will just use the normal output on the left side of the unit so everything is consistent. Some people do some interesting setups and might have a use for that. Keep in mind you do not NEED to use the xlr output, you can use it as a simple tone shaping device just like and equalizer on your amp and ignore the xlr, but it is there if you need it. Some peoples amps do not have an XLR output on them, this fixes that problem for those people. That is a key feature of this unit, it is very flexible.

Amplifiers consist of two parts, a pre-amp, which shapes the tone, the main feature of this is the EQ, and many amps have their own XLR output. The second part is a power-amp, which makes your sound louder, so to speak. This unit (the sansamp) is just like adding an additional pre-amp to your existing amp, furthering your tone shaping capabilities. Maybe you current amp does not have an XLR output on it, so by getting one of these you basically add one on, among other things.

Make sense?

12. I like the SansAmp because...
    1) it gives my sound a little more UMPFH!
    2) if you're playing at a club, your going to need to either mic your amp, plug into a D.I. box, or both.

D.I. boxes at clubs are usually JUNK and once your signal is plugged in, you have no real control over your sound anymore. By plugging into the SansAmp, it can give you a little more control over your sound when plugging into a club P.A.

I used to play some acoustic gigs with a singer-songwriter and the SansAmp was PERFECT for that. It's like carrying a tiny little amp head in your gig bag.

I say...go for it. :)

13. ok i get it now!

and im looking forward to getting this little thing! and starting my pedal collection XD

14. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    You can also use the Sansamp instead of your preamp if your amp has an effects loop or "preamp in." This is a great option if your amp's inherent tone is one that you don't much like or is dramatically different from the Sansamp's.

15. jjhardy

jjhardy

Mar 11, 2007
    i just had a thought. if i had the parallel output run out into a different amp/preamp, i could play through two totally different sounding amps. this could work wonderfully for a drummer/bassist only band; i suddenly like my SABBDI even more now.

16. rickfan63

rickfan63

Dec 5, 2006
    The SABD is one of the best little gadgets on the market. It's one of the best pieces of gear I've ever bought. I have a pretty good rig to begin with, and it improved it 110%. I won't play a gig without it.:hyper: