1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 SANSAMP BDDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by GreggBummer, Apr 16, 2009.

1. I have had this unit for over a year now and I really like it. However, last night the right most foot switch (channel 3) stopped working. The LED seems to briefly come on when power is applied just like the other LEDs do. Also, when i reset the unit to factory preset it seems to function. Factory reset is done by holding channels one and three down and applying power. This resets the unit, but I am still unable to switch to channel three.

Of course, I am outside the warranty period. I am holding out that I did something stupid that is correctable. I plan on sending the unit for repair but I thought posting on TB might help.

I don't NEED all three channels, but I do LIKE them.

:help:

2. UPDATE: I was mistaken- Channel 3 does not function at all. I just tried resetting the unit again and it didn't work. It is probably the switch itself. So....

1) Send to TECH 21 for repair. Expensive?
    2) Open the unit and go on another adventure with a soldering iron. Stupid?
    3) Leave it alone and just use the two remaining channels. GAS producing?

Hmmm....

3. bodonx

bodonx

Mar 14, 2009
    email tech 21..!!

4. yep email tech21

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you see something obvious, or if you know a little something about electronics, I would just go for #2 since it's out of warranty. And then, using myself as the yardstick, you would make a big mess of it and have to call Tech 21 anyway ;) Hopefully you're better at it than I am. I'm trying very hard to learn this stuff, but the mechanics of doing it I'm struggling with.

6. Craig_S

Craig_S Banned

Oct 15, 2008
    Metro Detroit
    If you're confident with a soldering iron, open it up and check the solder connections where the switch mounts. Fix them as necessary or replace the switch, if needed.

7. Very rarely could I compare myself to The Great JimmyM. However, I think that my lack of confidence with a soldering iron is going to drive me to email Tech21.

After surfing their site, getting some great input from TB'ers, and a bit of common sense troubleshooting it seems to be switch. If Tech21 wants to charge me more than I am willing to pay to have it fixed I will open up the unit. If I do decide to make an adventure out of it I will take pictures and post them to this thread as journal of what to do and what not to do. Mostly what no to do. ;)

Thanks fellas.

8. james brown bobble head with a devo hat??????

9. slyjoe

slyjoe Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2008
    Valley of the Sun (AZ)
    I wouldn't open it up. The BDDI isn't like most other pedals. I opened mine up to change out the LEDs, just because I wanted something brighter. It is extremely hard and frustrating to actually get to the components in the BDDI. I'm pretty good with mods but the Tech21 construction is designed so that you can't really take it apart without breaking anything.