Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 Sansamp Ground/Phantom Switch?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by PolkaHero, Feb 13, 2004.

1. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    I just got a Sansamp Bass Driver used "sans" manual. What exactly is this switch used for? I plan on using the unit as a preamp and powering it with an AC adapter. Which setting should the switch be set to?

BTW, are there any manuals online for this little black box? Thanks!

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The ground/phantom switch will do a ground lift when powered by battery or the adapter. When you use phantom power to power the unit, you must engage the ground for it to get power from the mixing board. When you use the adapter, if you get noise, slide the switch to the right to do a ground lift, disconnectiong the ground of the pedal from the ground of the amp. Enjoy the sansamp. It'll make almost any bass/amp sound better. That is if you like a fat tubey tone.

3. DB5

DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    The phantom switch is so you can get power from the FOH board. I would think the manual is online. If you cannot locate it drop me a p.m and I'll make a copy of mine and send it to you.

4. TxBass

TxBass

Jul 3, 2002
    Frisco, Texas
    dude...that is really cool to do that...of course you're from Austin. ;)

5. PolkaHero

PolkaHero Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Michigan
    Thanks for all the help! Thanks for offering a manual, DB5, but I've got it pretty much figured out. Pretty straightforward little unit. I don't think I'll have much use for the drive knob as I'm going for a clean sound, but I do like the tube emulation! :cool:

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The tube emulation is definitely a sweet sound. I like it a lot, too. It'll even make guitars sound better. I used it in some recordings. Sounded pretty good.