Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 Sansamp PSA-1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë, Feb 19, 2001.

1. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    How would i hook one of these up to my Bassman 400 combo?

Its a preamp so would i be able to switch from it to my normal clean tone with a footswitch? Sorry this question might seem stupid but i really dont know wut to do. I'm intersted in maybe getting a PSA-1 because the distortion from my pedal sucks.

2. brewer9

brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    No thats not a stupid question. Or, if it is then I'm stupid too (which unfortunately could be the case), but certainly don't worry about asking anything bass related here. I've been asking stupid questions for over a year and everyone has been extremely willing to help out (well, except for a few who will remain nameless).

My answer to your question though is that you dont need a PSA-1 to do what you want. I agree that most distortion pedals really suck for bass so avoid those. But DO consider the SansAmp Bass Driver. It can provide some more subtle distortion sounds that will boost your bass the way you seem to want.

Anyone else here agree? or disagree?

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I tried the PSA-1 a few years ago and really liked its versatility, but wasn't enthused about its sound...I remember it sounding a little thin, but then again, this was a 15 minute trial in the store. The other issue I have with it is that I find it would be too difficult to get the true sound of my amp (I have an EBS Fafner), which I love the sound of, so I just wanted a distortion option...sounds a lot like what you're after. I contacted Tech 21 and they told me that with the PSA-1, I'd have to twiddle with the knobs in order to find an approximation of the Fafner's sound, which does not excite me...after all, I own a great amp, why shouldn't I sound like I'm using it?

So, I went to the store and tried out the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI. This unit acts both as a pedal AND as a DI. It's got amp-emulation circuitry built in, so the preamp will have tons of flexibility, especially amazing considering its size! And, it's got some good distortion under its hood to boot!:cool: I really like it, and because it doubles as a stomp-box, I use it as such. I have a different tone set up for the Sans Amp than I do for my Fafner, with more of a scooped-out midrange, and a bit of distortion padded into the sound, so I get a pretty different sound when I step on the pedal. Therefore, I feel I'm getting really great use of the Bass Driver.

My recommendation is to go with the Bass Driver. It's a really cool little device that'll provide you with lots of cool tones, including distortion, which it does pretty well.

4. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Well does anyone know how i would connect the psa-1 to my combo? I cant sleep until i know. Its bugging me.

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Do you have a pre-amp in? If so, plug the output of the PSA-1 into that. If you have an effects loop, put the PSA-1 in the loop, and blend to maximum. If you don't have either of those, then plug your bass into the input of the PSA-1, plug the output into a separate power amp, then plug the output of that into a speaker cabinet. The cab can be the one in your combo, if the jack is accessible, like that of a Hartke or something.

6. Sammy

Sammy

Aug 31, 2000
    SoCal
    RAM

Not to go to far from the subject, but can you get "usable" distortion from the Fafner tube "drive"?

Thanks,
    Sam

7. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yes you can, but I have an older model. The most recent version of my amp has a beefed-up version of the distortion and midrange sections. Still, I've turned up the "drive" on my amp and found there's adequate distortion.:)

I really bought this thing so I can switch tones during songs (which I have a tendency to do), without going back to my amp and dialing in the appropriate amount of distortion.

Another reason I bought it is because I haven't bought any toys in a while and didn't want to buy a bass...my taste is way to expensive, and bills have got to be paid, ya' know?:eek:

I still prefer the tone of my amp clean over the tone with the Sans Amp, however...

8. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    According to the Fender website, your Bassman 400 does have an effects loop. An alternative you might try is to "slave" the PSA-1. What you do is plug it in to your effects return, but NOT into your effects send. What this will do is to bypass the Bassman's preamp, thus using the PSA-1 in place of the Bassman's preamp.

9. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    But if i did "slave" the preamp i wouldnt be able to switch between my clean and distortion would i?

10. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Just to get the verbage correct, if you slave something, you're using that as the preamp. In this case, you're talking about slaving a PSA-1. If you slave the PSA-1, you're bypassing your internal preamp altogether. The only way to switch back and forth is to keep plugging/unplugging the PSA-1 in the effects loop.

If you want distortion, but want to switch back and forth between that and your clean amp sound, I'd get a pedal, such as a Boss Distortion or what I use, which is the Sans Amp Bass Driver DI. Then, with a quick stomp of the foot, you've changed from clean to distortion and back.

There's another alternative, however, that you may consider...it's the most expensive, but you could do it...get the PSA-1 and a MIDI foot controller. You can program sounds into your PSA-1 with differing levels of distortion and clean. You can probably figure out how to even program an approximation of your Bassman 400's sound into the preamp. So, why not just slave the PSA-1 and use that to produce ALL your sounds, both clean and distorted?

11. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Would it be better to run the Sansamp Bass Driver Pedal in my effects loop? or the main input?

12. Your main input....with the BassDriver DI, it should be between your bass and your amp, IMO. Run a cable from your bass to the input on the SansAmp, the run a second cable from your out of the DI to your amp....then dial up a sound that is right for you and go for it! For distortion, crank up the drive and the presence...but be careful the the presence knob or the high end will get REALLY bright. It'll make your ears bleed!

13. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Cool, thanks a lot. When I round up enough money i'm gonna get a Sansamp Bass Driver DI. That pedal sounds amazing. Its got the perfect distortion sound that I want.

14. I also have a PSA-1, and like to use it at home with my combo (with fxloop).
    This 'slave' thing, is it as easy as connecting the output of the PSA-1 with the Return of the combo?

OR do I need to hook up the 'send' of the PSA-1 with the Return of the combo?

Could anyone help me out?