Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 (SansAmp) RBI settings

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cetera, Aug 19, 2004.

1. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    Right,

Seeing as so many of us have RBI's and there doesn't seem to be any sort of user forum on the Tech21 website for tone sharing let's see what we can learn from each other...

The RBI booklet gives some guide settings but I'm sure we've all tweaked them and made our own faves.... :)

Anyone care to post their suggested settings and a guide tone description (i.e. slap bass, Geddy Lee, 'Tool-style' overdrive, vintage valve, etc) ? :bassist:

I'll set up another thread for RPM users...

2. I'll start...Right now (it could change by the afternoon) I run Bass at 3 o'clock, mid at 1 o'clock, and Treble at Noon. Blend 100% dry...no drive...no presence.

I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my unit, but whenever I dial in ANY of the suggested settings, then roll the blend to 100% wet, I get a loss in volume and a pretty unusable sound. Thin and trebly, with too much dirt. The only joy I've found while blending is when I put the blend around 8 o'clock (barely wet).

I use it as my preamp.

3. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Thanks Bob for starting us off...

Bumping...

4. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    yup, me too... it's not your unit :) a few people have said the same thing... the 100% wet sounds tend to be very mid-scooped no matter what you do - blend is the key :)

attached are mine (sorry for the sucky pic but you get the idea)

I'd be hesitant to describe the sound of the RBI settings because most of my sound comes from the bass and the way I play it... (P-bass with a Duncan QP, played with a pick), and the RBI is really set up just to add a bit of growl and vibrancy... also I goose the high-mids with a separate EQ & have a Sonic Maximiser running... which all change the tone... so anyone else using these settings wouldn't necessarily get a similar sound to me

5. I'm not Bob...the quote in my signature is from Bob from "What About Bob?" - early '90s Bill Murray flick.

I'm Paul...and I'm psychotic too, but in a good way.

6. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Oops! Sorry Paul..! :oops:

7. Thanks for the insight. I guess the term 'mid-scooped' just escaped my lexicon there. That's really what it is. I sound just like Fieldy (OMG, FiEldy RULZZZ!!@ lol:) when I'm 100% wet...I mean when the blend is at 100% wet. Do I need to re-think my mid eq for this, meaning will I be able to dial in a mid hump with my mids at 5 o'clock and not have it sound like camels humping?

Those are EXACTLY the settings I used this weekend (a little bit of blend, etc.) Interesting.

8. Hey cowgoesmoo!!! Do you ever get soundguys complaining that you're sending them too hot of a signal through your D.I.? I noticed your XLR send volume is at 2 o'clock. I'm always told by my soundguys (the bar-supplied sound 'engineers' - monkeys that push buttons) that I'm too loud into the board. I've had to turn my XLR down to about 8 o'clock or 9 o'clock and push the -20 db button on the back.

The sound is okay through the club, but I'm thinking that I'm not really sending a signal that has the optimal depth and power. Has anybody noticed a difference through the house is the XLR is cranked and the soundboard is getting a hotter signal?

9. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    GREAT flick, BTW...

I NEEEEEDDD! I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEDDD! GIMME GIMME...

10. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    most of our gigs don't warrant me going thru the PA (my rig is fairly big and the venues aren't :D ), but the times I have DI'd, nobody's complained :)

now you come to mention it, I wonder if i've pressed the PAD button at some point... (?) will have to check...

it's great having level control over the XLR output... I always crank it a little bit mid-set when no-one's looking :bassist:

after all... the people need to hear plenty of bass, right?!? :)

you're right about the Fieldy thing... whenever we want a laugh in rehearsals we do our Korn impression (our guitarist has an Ibanez Universe 7-string thingy) - I whip out my 5-string and turn the blend right up to 100% - INSTANT FIELDY :)

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    This weekend I was in the recording studio and I used a blend of my Sansamp and my Nemesis 2-10 combo mic'ed both running pretty much fully driven.

For the Sansamp I had the Drive and blend at full clockwise, the presence cut to around 10, 10:30, the bass, nearly maxed on some songs, and around 2:00 on others, the mids around 1:00, and the trebble around 10:30.

It was still a really bright grindy sound dirrect and we blended the Nemesis and an extra track of bass for some more bass frequencies in the mixing stages of the recording. He ran it through some other compressors and stuff after the DI including a Valley People compressor the producer picked up from Johny Cash. Its the meanest sounding bass tone Ive heard in a long time.

If someone wants a sample I could try to get it to them.

12. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    i've been thinking about getting this. everyone who has it, pretty much, says that they won't play without it anymore. is it worth it just getting the RBI if i already have an Ampeg SVT3?

13. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    I have an SVTIII as well and it is a superb amp. But, if you find you can't get quite enough 'growl' and wish it sounded more like an old heavy rockin' SVT then the RBI is for you. This sound is by no means the only one you can get from the RBI but it is definitely one of its selling points! :bassist:

14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    awsome. so what do YOU do? do you set the svt3 preamp flat, then use the RBI's? thanks!

15. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    I've actually purchased the Tech21 Landmark 300 Head (which has both the RBI & RPM built in as it's dual preamps) plus a 300 Watt powerstage. :hyper:

I use my SVTIII for some engagements and the RBI for others... :)

I would suggest you plug the RBI into the 'Power Amp In' on the SVTIII (therefore bypassing the SVTIII preamp).... this should do the trick... :bassist:

16. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Anyone else got any RBI settings?!?

Come on, let's get this thread happening! :bassist:

17. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Does anyone have one for sale?

Lee, the engineer we worked with on our last recording at Earthsound Studios, loved my RBI and wants to pick one up. I told him that there would probably be one available here.

18. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    This is awesome! I get my RBI via FedEx manana... :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :bassist: Friggin' A, man!

19. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Ok, well after messing around with my RBI today, here's about what I got:
    Drive: 12:30-1:00
    Presence: 2:00-2:30
    Blend: 100% wet
    Bass: 2:30-3:00
    Mid: 12:00-1:00
    Treble: 11:30-12:00

Sounding pretty good so far. I'm gonna go test out everyone's settings so far!

20. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Bump for more settings... :)