Tech 21 sansamp rpm reviews ? Please help, I need to make a decision

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by descendent22, Jul 22, 2018.

1. descendent22

descendent22

Jul 29, 2015
    Connecticut
    So for the last year I been trying out different heads, preAmps on the quest to achieve the tone I seek. I'm looking for something I can get plenty of low end support, clean clear highs and good midrange combined with a gritty grindy growl but still having that low end support. Not so much distorion. And I would like to combine the channels. With that said I've been doing me research and have come across this SansAmp rpm unit. I owned the rbi and although it was a great preamp it just didn't have 100% of what I'm looking for. I'll be running direct into the preamp as well.please leave reviews/info

2. BassikBrad

BassikBrad Bass Face Brad Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2018
    Las Vegas. New Mexico
    I used an RPM for about 12 months. Have to recommend it for being very clean sounding, in
    fact for me it was too clean, had absolutely no personality, or character & certainly no 'gritty
    grindy growl'. Some folks may well disagree with me but I guess we can't all have the same
    hearing or taste.

descendent22 likes this.
  3. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I recently bought a Tech 21 GED-2112, and as I understand it, it's "Drive" channel is very, very similar to the RPM preamp. Unfortunately, I need to have some speaker cables made up before I can try it out. Hopefully I can get that done in a day or two.

There's a couple of YouTube videos demonstrating the RPM, which is what got me interested in Sansamp products. Judging from the videos, the RPM is capable of getting some nice "grit".

There were a couple of TBers that used both the RBI and the RPM together in their live rigs. If I remember correctly, @Fuzzbass has done this with the RBI and RPM. Hopefully he'll chime in.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  4. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    AFAIK Geddy used RBI first, then RPM, then the GED unit which, with the addition of the 2 knob "deep" section, apparently solves the need for 2 preamps linked (that's how he used it back then with the RBI/RPM to switch between 2 "preset" tones). The GED-2112 is based on the RPM, in Tech21's words:

"The Drive pre-amp section is based upon the versatile SansAmp RPM, for a wide range of sonic possibilities. The Deep pre-amp section offers low end boost for thick, meaty tones. Saturation goes from clean in lower settings to increased harmonics and tube-like compression in higher settings."

5. Blaze Barlow

Blaze Barlow

Mar 8, 2018
    Nashville
    I have been using an RPM for about 3 years now..and I really like the variety of sounds it produces..I am running instrument into the RPM and the RPM into the amp head..my head is the ampeg SVT Pro 4 which has three tubes in the preamp section..but I have had no problems with mine..I think the key is getting the level and drive knobs blended correctly on the RPM..and getting the gain and the master level blended correctly on the amp..its hard to beat for the cost..on further thought..the Mike Pope MMP 1 is about as good as it gets for a bass preamp..its been discontinued and they are hard to find used..everybody that has one is keeping it..it retailed at around $1600..it is a rackmounted unit..

6. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I now use amp-plus-pedals, but I used RBI and then RBI plus RPM for years in my rack rigs.

The RBI, like the SansAmp Bass Driver pedal it's based on, has an inherent mid scoop that doesn't work for everyone. The scoop can be mitigated via Blend, but it's always present in the tube emulation.

The RBI didn't work for the OP, but the RPM might. It's tonally neutral with Drive off, and the semi-parametric midrange gives it lots of tone-shaping power. The Drive control is grittier than the RBI. I'd describe the RBI Drive as being more of an overdrive, and the RPM Drive as distortion.

As noted, RBI and RPM sound great together. The first post in the link below describes how to run them together in parallel. It's a little tricky, but the end result is that you can blend RBI and RPM together (and the end result is mono, no need to run a stereo rig).
    Something cool for Sansamp RBI/RPM users...

BrentSimons and Arthur U. Poon like this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 28, 2021