1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 SansAmp VT Bass DI into Genz Benz Shuttle

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lloydage, Jan 18, 2017.

1. lloydage

lloydage

Nov 23, 2012
    Hi folks

Has anyone got any experience of using the combination of these two - whether its using the DI box as an effects pedal 'after' the amp (e.g. stomp box) or whether you have plugged it into the back of the shuttle to use as a pre amp?

Incidentally if you are plugging it directly into the back of the shuttle - which one do I plug it into? Send or return? I think I may have plugged it into the wrong one as I had an XLR to jack lead and that fitted the return hole so I plugged it in there - but everything seemed to work fine so now Im confused as to where to plug this into. I would assume 'send' and that I need to get a different lead?

And finally what settings on the pedal have worked well for you?

Any answers to any of these questions would be very helpful. I play a music man big al 4 string SSS and use it only in passive mode and play in 2 bands - indie rock and blues rock - if that helps.

Thanks
    Lloyd

2. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    You go into the Return if you're trying to bypass the amp's pre.

As for settings for your indie band, try going with bass around 10, treble around 1 or 2, mid, drive and character around 2. If you're going into a cab then bypass the cab sim and leave the bite engaged. Grind city.

3. Bodeanly

Bodeanly Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    I was like, "this will sound like total garbage," then I realized you were speaking in o'clocks.

4. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Yeah sorry, meant to say those numbers are in "o'clocks". But don't try those settings until you're with your band though. You'll probably actually think it sounds like garbage when you're by yourself.

5. lloydage

lloydage

Nov 23, 2012
    thanks for that. yes there are so many options on that pedal and the character and drive knobs are very sensitive. What about blend level?

6. lloydage

lloydage

Nov 23, 2012
    and level to taste?

7. jpTron

jpTron

Apr 19, 2010
    NJ
    Level is whatever you want. This pedal, at least V1, gets loud af. I forget the DI version has the blend. Start with it completely on and then blend some of your signal back in if you think it needs it.

8. lloydage

lloydage

Nov 23, 2012
    thanks for your advice

9. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    I have the v2 and I felt like I lost something when playing in the mix but since blending in my dry with an ls-2 its been awesome, got my punch back but still get the nice tubey breakup character. I'm not sure which way the blend works on the DI but I have clean tone at 10oclclock with effected tone at 12 on the ls-2.
    A little trick with the vt, if character is high turn the mids down, if the character is low, turn the mids up. If both are low you will get lost in the mix, if both are high you get clank city and sounds terrible(to me). My personal settings in o'clocks are: low 1, high 2, mid 3, char 10:30, drive 11 with sim off. I then turn the bass up on my amp which is centred at 60hz, the vt bass is around 100hz which I find too high for punch but works for the sound its going for. Happy experimenting.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  10. PMagers

PMagers Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2011
    Philly, Philadelphia
  11. lloydage

lloydage

Nov 23, 2012
    thanks all. very useful