1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 Steve Harris SH1 Signature SansAmp in a live setting...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Tricaptain, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    Right Hear (...it's a pun. Use your ears!). ;D
    I'm just a user/customer that plays gigs. I am not professionally affiliated with any vendor, etc.
    Say, you guys! I haven't logged on in quite some time, so pardons for any messages I've missed... hope all's been cool with you guys!

OK, so... quick note. I'm REALLY hesitant to post this, because I'm not trying to shamelessly promote my band (though, I LOVE my band - such a great bunch of dudes, and I'm having a BLAST!), but I really think it's a little better when you can hear at least ONE example of gear being used in a live setting.

I can't attest for the sound quality, since I think this video was recorded using a SmartPhone, but perhaps it's one example of how the SH-1 might sound at a venue.

Again, what you hear in the video is what's out in the house... it's Bass -> SH-1 -> XLR out to the house... and the sound engineer may have EQd, as needed, for the mix/venue. Hoping this translates, depending on how you're listening to it (be it headphones, computer speakers, home stereo, etc)… might not be the best, but it's an example:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwi876u66_HnAhVSh-AKHcSGB68QtwIwBXoECAgQAQ&url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xI5wla2Wws&usg=AOvVaw0FHObbtwRLo9oUx865NuwM

PARDONS in advance if the link is long/weird/doesn't work... if it doesn't, search "Wasted Year's by Eyes of the Nile, at Tally Ho...", 1/10/2020, uploaded by Jeffrey Vogt Photography. Note: Aware that "Years" shouldn't have an apostrophe, that's just how it was posted...

(Also PARDONS also for any flubs on my part! I'm doin' my best...)
    ;p

There's also a 'drum cam' version that our drummer, Chris, uploaded in February 2020, but the video that I'd attempted to link is from out in the house (naturally, a difference in the sound - I can't remember how Chris sourced the sound... so, maybe that's another one to hear as another example?). I think the person recording it was standing at the sound booth.

Anyways, hope it helps anyone that's still thinking about picking this SH-1 up. For me, I REALLY love it. Cheers, you guys!

2. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    I'm just a user/customer that plays gigs. I am not professionally affiliated with any vendor, etc.
    EDIT: I forgot to mention something KEY... I use a Sennheiser G3 wireless. That matters, because I keep forgetting to set the EQ in the G3 to match what it sounds like with a cable. There is a bit of high-end roll-off (to my ears), which is countered by my current settings on the SH-1. At band practice, I play with a cable, and it sounds MUCH brighter with a cable. So, keep that in mind as well in what you may hear in the video...

\m/, (*o*) ,\m/

BrentSimons and DistortedBass like this.
  3. EncoremMP

EncoremMP

May 24, 2017
    San Antonio
    Nice work! Very solid. I'm enjoying my SH1 but have not played live with it, so good to hear it in the mix. Also, digging your vertical 410 set up.

4. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    Oh, HEY man - many thanks! I'm just tryin' to keep up with my bandmates; SERIOUSLY prodigious players, and I'm very lucky to be in the fold.

Also, YES! That's my Markbass Ninja 102 500, stacked with the TRV 102P. The power and portability (and, of course, tone) are AWESOME; seriously love it. I'd been raving about it for some time now.

Though, note (and I think you already realize this): the bass sound in this video is not the Markbass; I have the XLR out from the SH-1, right to the house. The house then does whatever it needs to have me sit in the mix.

Either way, I just hope it offers a living example in this particular setting. Many thanks, once again - cheers, man!

5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Less googly link:

Sounds pretty good for "phone cam in the back of the venue". Cool performance! Bass sounds phat and the high register runs are nicely placed in the mix. :thumbsup:

6. jymyben

jymyben Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2007
    nice playing all the way around...

your singer really nails bruce...

thanks for sharing...

Tricaptain likes this.
  7. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    Seriously, kind words… Really just wanted to offer an example for a setting on how the SH-1 performs… Thanks for the bonus observations, you guys. Cheers, and up the irons!

8. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    Thanks a trillion for the better link! For some reason, the computer I was on at the time was giving me trouble… Cheers!

Fuzzbass likes this.
  9. basseux

basseux

Jan 10, 2010
    very good cover band
    As for the sound, it's there, however the bass drum seems too loud and bassy, I think it covers the bass too much.
    In the intro we can't ear clearly the bass solo also, maybe because there is too much bass.
    But as someone noticed it's just recorded with a phone.
    Also I have seen Maiden 3 times live I think, and I always though the bass wasn't loud enough and overpowered by drums or guitars, which doesn't makes sense, considering how bass is important on the records.

10. Johnnydnger

Johnnydnger

Sep 2, 2019
    My old original sansamp walked off at a gig last year and with a live stream show coming up in a month I need a replacement. After trying all of the darkglass pedals and not digging any of them I picked up the SH1 just based off the YouTube vids.

I do not regret it at all. I brought it to practice with my thrash metal band and it sits perfectly in the mix. It definitely has a wide range of tones, and I was able to dial it in pretty close to the bass guitar on Benediction's song Grind Bastard.

crapusername and beer&bass like this.
  11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 14, 2021