1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 VT Bass Deluxe DI Questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Stranger Danger, Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Just picked up one of these in the classifieds and waiting for it to arrive. I have very little experience with Sansamp stuff and none with this pedal. Any tips from users would be appreciated. Also how does the effects loop work? Is it before the presets or after or parallel? I’ll be using it with one bass and in front of my Markbass amp and I’ll have synth stuff in the loop (octave, fuzz, envelope filter). Probably have delay after it as well.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
  2. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    @JimmyM any tips my man? I know you are an expert on this pedal.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I guess I have a couple...

1. Flat response with the clean sound is argued slightly between folks on here, but we all seem to agree that it exists at approximately these settings...bass 12:30, mids and character slightly past noon, treble between 9:00 and 10:00 (I say closer to 10:00). Chris the Tech 21 rep will probably chime in with his preferred flat settings, too, and I'd tell you what they are if I could remember them :D

2. The knobs are extremely sensitive and interactive, and small changes make big results that can have implications for other knobs. So if you need to change something on the fly, do it in small increments. That's the price to pay for its extreme versatility.

3. I find the more overdrive I use, the more I need to increase bass response to keep the low end even with the clean sound. But it will do anything from clean to fuzz, and I find it makes a darn good fuzz pedal, actually.

4. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Thanks thats exactly what I was looking for. What about the FX loop? Do you use it? How does it work? (I know how FX loops work but I am wondering if this will allow me to take the Boss LS-2 off the board or not.)

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I never use it myself since I always just go in-line with my effects, but in order to use it, you have to activate it in each preset, otherwise it won't use the stuff in the loop. Don't know if it'll allow you to quit using the LS-2, but it might. All depends on what you want to use it for.

hintz and StrangerDanger like this.
  6. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Actually, regardless what preset you are in, a double pump on the 4th footswitch (the one that changes back and forth between bank A and B) will bring the loop in or out (in if its out on the preset and vice versa) .

StrangerDanger likes this.
  7. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Is it before, after or parallel?

8. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Fx loop is after the sansamp signal.
    I used A presets for clean, light od and medium od, and had my dirt pedals in B channel with ls2. I preset all the B's clean and identical as a pallette for the dirt pedals, so I could go from any A setting to the B "with whatever dirt pedal i had activated"

hintz and StrangerDanger like this.
  9. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Oh my boss tuner has 2 outs. 1 went straight to channel A and 1 went to ls2(dirt pedals) and into channel b

10. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Ok I’m going to have to read this a lot and think about it. What I really want is to switch the loop on and off like I do with the ls2. But I’m not sure how that would sound if the FX loop is after the VT.

11. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    I guess what I could do is keep the LS2 and put the VT in loop A and the Synth stuff in B and just swap back and forth

keatz likes this.
  12. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    I think the loop is more intended for things you might put in a guitar amp's fx loop, e.g. modulation. That's how I use mine. I have Zoom MS-70CDR - Bass Whammy in the loop on mine.

keatz and StrangerDanger like this.
  13. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    U can choose what presets have loop on and off. With the vt deluxe andcsn ls2 you should definitely be able to do what you want. I found a way to utilise mine as like a switcher

StrangerDanger and hintz like this.
  14. hintz

hintz

Jun 5, 2014
    wahiawa, HI(Oahu)
    When had the programmable VT I used the FX loop for dirt, envelope, modulation... everything! Despite what some might think about FX loops, it sounded fine for me providing I set up that channel for a flat/neutral tone(similar to what Jimmy M. said for settings). You won't need the LS2 if you do this(unless your FX need a clean blend)

15. Bodeanly

Bodeanly

Mar 20, 2015
    Chicago
    This was the hardest thing to overcome. After that, this is the greatest pre I have ever used.

16. Highroler79

Highroler79

Apr 24, 2013
    the loop function on my unit is not the greatest, the double tapping doesn't always register. I have mine on a backup board right now it is a nice unit, but if I was going to use the loop I would have looked into modding it, and adding another foot switch, or 3 for loops on each channel, or wire up one of my LS2's into the loop.

From your description of what you are using I am doing something similar, I have a brown dog, and a TSFM for my dirt, and and Deep impact, and Octavious squeezer for more dirt and some synth stuff, and a Agent funk.

I run into a Keeley baisest compressor to help limit the signal after Dirt/Synths so when I engage dirt/synth is wont jump too much or be too week. All venue can sound/react to low end a little different. Splitting the signal with the LS2 will help so the dirt/effect does't loos the low end.

I have tried a ton or dirt and filter and synths, These pedals work great for me because I can have tons of dirt tones/flavors in the OS, the Brown dog my main dirt, and the TASF to drive the FI or light dst. No need ofr adjustments between songs, and I was also able to get ride of the need for the LS2, they all have blends. The LS2 does work wonders when using dirt/synth sounds so you can keep the low end and blend it. Right after my tuner I go into a a Radial DI with a Jension transformer that way I can get a clean sound direct at the start of my chain, or I can send it to FOH if the sound guy wants it.

Finally I am using a harkley bass attack right now for a DI at the end of my chain, I want to get the darkglass vintage ultra. But this lets me send a DI to the FOH that I can adjust the tone on, and send a singal to my amp, or ditch the amp and use the line out to a mixer for IEM.

I have thought about using the LS2 again, even with the blend abilities of the pedals.

17. I would make sure you read the manual. There are a few pages of settings to get you started.

18. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I got mine used and had somewhat the same issue with a couple of the switches.
    Opening the chassis and taking some contact cleaner to (all of) them solved that issue.

Also, use the loop for kicking my Zoom B2 in and out. No issues.

19. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Ok observations:

The loop is definitely post and doesn’t work with all pedals. Could be great for delay though.

I like 4 of the factory presets and YES and Warm Compression for the two I didn’t care for.

There’s a nice amount of “natural tube” compression in this box that makes me think I don’t really need a compressor anymore.

Oly Spart and Ba55Man1ac like this.
  20. Stranger Danger

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Right at home.

Attached Files: