1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 VT Bass DI .vs. Darkglass VMT Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Jun 24, 2014.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Discuss. ;)

2. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Haven't tried the VMT Deluxe, but I have the regular VMT. Had VT Bass (again, not the DI version) V1 and V2. VMT's overdrive sounds way way better, more natural, more tube like. VT Bass was harsh in the highs and high mids (especially with the speaker sim on), and it was ok with the speaker sim off, but seemed a bit lifeless sounding at times. It was a solid tool to warm up my GK amp when I had that amp, but I started hearing the whole "emulation" thing going on. I seriously doubt I'd ever use the "bite" switch on the DI version since I'm not too crazy about the harsh high end on the VT. It sounded horrible on the video I heard where it was used. Again, just my taste, YMMV.

My vote goes to VMT Deluxe by far. Exteremly usable overdrive tones, fantastic mids, great sounding vintage and 90ish tones. I love the regular VMT, I bet the deluxe is just more shades of awesome.

3. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    That's interesting - I play a stingray and was considering getting the vt bass, to warm up my sound and hit ratm sounds, and was thinking about getting the vmt as a designated overdrive. Maybe I'd be better of getting the vmt deluxe...

4. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Lots of users really like their VT. I liked VT, more when I used it at home with my computer than going through GK rig. But that's because it doesn't fare too well with an amp (and cab) that has pronounced high mid and treble. It was clank city with it, sometimes very very hard to dial down and impossible to dial out completely. It really depends on what you pair it with. Still, even on its own, the treble is very harsh on the VT, and the clank is apparent with the speaker sim on.

5. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The VT Bass DI separates the bite and speaker sim functions though.

6. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    I know. But like I said, the bite function sounds useless to me with the added high end brittle clanky bite. Regular VT doesn't have the bite function.

7. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I had the impression the VT bassically has the bite baked into the cab sim which is why the VT DI can be a bit less clanky with the bite turned off. I don't see the point of this function either, the whole idea of cab sim is to roll off the high end, not add more, right?

8. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    I use a VT Bass. Paired with my Mesa Bottle Rocket it sounds great. The other day I was playing with it turned off and I think I might of liked what I was hearing better. So now I may switch my preamp and the one I was looking at was the VMT deluxe or the B7k. I wish I didn't need a preamp pedal but even though I liked what I was hearing without it. I still need something to enhance it and add more depth and presence. Take it how you like but I think i need to finally move on to a different preamp pedal. The Rusty Box is appealing too, but I wish it was in a smaller box.

9. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I had a VT Bass v1, then bought the VT Bass DI, which was promptly sold as it didn't sound as good. EQ points were different, the overdrive sounded nastier somehow, and I just couldn't get the same tones out of it no matter how I set the speaker sim and bite switches.

Then I got the VMT Deluxe. Sounds great through both my amp and through headphones, less annoying trebly clank and doesn't flub out on heavy hitting low notes like the VT. VT is now gone and I don't miss it one bit!

10. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The reason I ask really is that I use the VTBDI as a DI, not as an overdrive as I don't enjoy that sound much either. So I'm wondering whether I should replace it with a smaller DI or possibly the VMTD. The only thing I might miss from the DI is the speaker sim, but as I have an EQ before it I can use that to roll off the high end a bit if necessary, or even use the EQ on the VMTD. As it is I feel the VT Bass DI occupies a spot on the pedalboard that I think I may use better with the VMTD. Money permitting. :)

11. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    You're absolutely right. I had no idea they "spliced" the speaker sim function on the DI version. :)
    Still, I'd go for VMT for sure, I was never fond of VT's dirt anything above slight breakup.

12. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    The VMT Deluxe rolls off the highs like a speaker sim as it is. I've run a fuzz into it then into headphones with great results, I reckon the rolloff is much more natural sounding than the VT, which sounded a bit peaky at the rolloff point like a resonant filter. The Tone Hammer has a baked in speaker sim by all accounts too by the way.

13. no kidding? the vmt rolls off the highs?

i don't know why not everybody is doing this. i mean, who wants that sizzly top end? and when you turn the pedal off you still hear something over the tweeter. win win (not that i use tweeters dough :laugh:).
    is there a frequency response of the vmt?

i really like the vt bass, but i hate that 4,5kHz bump when engaging the speaker sim. it's so unnecessary.
    and yes, the bite switch on the vt di is as useless as it gets.

14. Guinness20

Guinness20

Jan 24, 2013
    Liverpool, UK
    Maybe I get the vmtd then. Does it work ok with active basses? It's either going to be that it the vt bdi.

15. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    You've been talking about which pedal to get for months! Just dive in man!

sk8 likes this.
  16. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've owned a VT Bass (v1) and currently own a VMT. If you want to sound like an SVT, a B15, or have a super clanky tone, the VT wins. If you want to sound like your current amp with a slight roll off of the deepest low, a slight bump in the lower midrange, and a high end rolloff coupled with a wide variety of touch sensitive overdrive to full blown distortion (not fuzz territory though), the VMT wins.

I find the non-deluxe VMT has a specific baked in EQ that either works for you, or it doesn't. The deluxe might fix that issue. I like the baked in EQ, so it's a non issue for me. The versatility of the overdrive in the pedal is wonderful, and the touch sensitivity is fabulous. Out of the two, I would go for the VMT every time.

17. FretNoMore

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I have the VMT but it's not on my board anymore; I - or maybe my bass - don't like those baked in mids. The VMTD with EQ (and DI) would probably be a much better match for what I want.

18. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    What he said :D

19. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Usually the problem most have with the VT Bass products being too bright has more to do with what they are plugging the unit in to. The Bite switch on the VT Bass DI is actually the "normal" VT Bass sound and is not part of the speaker sim. From the manual:

BITE
    Engaged (in position), Bite activates a presence boost and subsonic filter. This tightens up the
    sound when you are in distorted settings and adds definition to your notes when playing in clean
    settings.

The speaker sim has a slight bass and presence boost (around 3.5kHz) which is what happens when you close mic a speaker. We just put a VT Bass DI on the FFT. We were able to easily flatten out the speaker sim before the high end roll off by setting as follows: Level was at 11 o'clock Blend up full Low,High, Character and Drive at noon and Mids set at 1. The VT Bass DI's speaker sim button removes the speaker emulation from the circuit entirely. In the VT Bass it removes the speaker emulation but adds a high frequency roll off to make the pedal easier to use into an amp that has its high end boosted. With the speaker sim disengaged on the VT Bass DI to get the flat response just turn off the High control.

Atter, Driven Crane and maevinj like this.
  20. telecopy

telecopy

Dec 6, 2009
    USA
    I'm curious about how the two sound together, VT tone going into the VMT, or vice versa. Did you try that?