1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 VT Bass DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by michinho, Oct 17, 2013.

1. michinho

michinho

Oct 11, 2013
    London, UK
    What are people's experience with it?

Thinking of getting one, had the VT but found the lack of blend control too much for my tone.

Does the blend control help out?

How does it sound with other pedals?

Where do you put it in your chain?

Let me know guys...

Cheers

2. Randy S

Randy S

Jul 7, 2008
    Western WA
    I may eat my hat and end up getting one myself.

So, I, too would like to hear from some owners and users.

3. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    It's by far my favorite of the VT family. The blend knobs makes a huge difference and I'm very happy using it just as a dedicated overdrive pedal.

4. SonnyBassPlayer

SonnyBassPlayer

Nov 29, 2013
    Italy
    I just got a used one. I' loving the tone but I'm having an issue. The bass knob doesn't work, as it does no change for all of its turning except the very end when boom the bass freq actually burst. Anyone had this problem? The pedal is pretty much mint.

5. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I dig it.

6. I hate to say I plugged it in, set it to the SVT-style, took Tech21s settings and that was it. More aggressive eqing with my passive basses and flat eq for my active. Blend on 100% (eg. all pedal). I have tried other sounds (fat tube, B15 flattop) but keep going back to the SVT. Maybe after the next gig, I'll play around with it more but I'm not looking to twiddle knobs frequently during a gig so I'm looking for a one-size-fits-all tone.
    I have the bite switch on and the speaker sim on as well. Love the tone for all the basses (with minor eq adjustments).
    It sits at the end of my pedal board to be a back-up DI in case my amp goes down.

7. Dash Lashes

Dash Lashes Banned

Feb 20, 2015
    October 17, 2013
    :confused::bored:

Last edited: Mar 7, 2015
  8. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    I think it's pretty rad. I really dig the flip-top settings and although I preferred the blend at 2/3 level when playing on my own, I liked it better dimed in my hard rock bend setting. Not only does it give me a wonderful "clean" tube-type tone but it does something incredible to bring to life overdrives and fuzzes. It really is a remarkable pedal. The DI has been noted to be excellent as well.

9. tibpson

tibpson

Sep 8, 2010
    Very very usefull. You can get a tone of good tones out of it. I use it in the end of the chain almost as my pre-amp.

One of my guitarrists has a smallstudio and he allways ask for my VT DI to record the basses, with great result.

10. It tries to emulate somehow the SVT Ampeg´s sound. I can say yoy that I like too much this grindy and fat sound. So if you are looking for that go for it.

I find more usefull the blend knob, but for me the main goal thing is having the control over the mid frequencies. So this offers a lot of possibilities to find your own sound.

I like putting at final of the chain for taking advantage of this DI. I heard some differences in tone in some of my pedals. But it´s natural ´cause the Tech 21 it has his own character sounding for this mid scoop, and it "stains" your tone effects as the same way if you´d plug your effects chain in some differents amps you will notice the differences in tone too.

11. Bardolphus

Bardolphus Put some stank on it... Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    I picked up the VTDI for a IEM/amp-less pedalboard rig. Had the VTv2 before and, to me, they sound the same. I liked the idea of the blend control but so far haven't used it - it's been set to 100% pedal tone. Sound guys have said it sounds good out front and it sounds good in my ears. Seems like a winner, but I am curious about the new Ampeg SCR-DI.

willbassyeah likes this.
  12. Bassmike62

Bassmike62 Punch'n Ooomph provider Supporting Member

I am a huge Tech21 fan and have owned a few of their pedals. I sold a BDDI and a VT (v.2) to get the VT DI. The VT DI worked flawlessy as a preamp/DI unit and comes with the usual Tech21 quality control (again, perfect score), but this pedal did not work out for me: I found it way to "dark" for my taste. Then I went for something else, which ain't working out either. I'm going back to a VT Bass, which I should've never parted with in the 1st place.

13. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I hate to rain on everyone's parade, but I'm a little disillusioned about the VT right now. It was my latest love in my never ending quest for just the right dirt, but now. I've noticed that I'm just not using it as much as I thought I would. And whenever I fire up my rig to dial it in I find I'm always kind of struggling with it. It's hard to get the right amount of dirt and the right EQ shape.

Then last night I had a small epiphany: The Aguilar Agro. It arrived from Pedal Genie yesterday and after having played with it last night and this morning, wow. I like the dirt circuit a bit more than the VT, but best of all it doesn't change my whole tone when I click it on. This is the first dirt pedal I've tried since getting the VT. If it's that easy to best it, maybe I should look around even more.

The Diaper Geni likes this.
  14. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The VT is a modern classic and continually ranks as one of the most popular pedals for bass ever made. Not the easiest to dial in, though, and even after 7 years of using it or a VT Deluxe, it still trips me up sometimes. I still love it and will likely find a use for one or the other again, but I switched to the Ampeg SCR-DI because I can't argue with how easy it is to operate.

Unfortunately, it's not out yet, so you can't see that for yourself yet. But it's fortunate for me since it totally adds cool points for me to have a new product before everyone else ;)

Ricky Caboverde likes this.
  15. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Dude, I saw a demo of that Ampeg. Sounded pretty sweet.

JimmyM likes this.
  16. It would be a poor show if Ampeg didn't make the best Ampeg emulator?

JimmyM likes this.
  17. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Yup agree with most of the above point, i literally just put blend on 100%, the Era knob and the eq is sensitive as heck... Tons of tone you can new get from that pedal

18. Gain at 10, Bass and Mid slightly pronounced, 100% wet, highs and Character at noon and Level set to whatever you need. What a tone, my Jazzbass loves it!

19. vmabus

vmabus

Nov 1, 2013
    7200'
    I've had mine for a while, and mostly used it through the PA with headphones for practice. I've been well satisfied with it as a practice rig.
    The other day, I hooked it up as a preamp through an ancient and battered Crown PB1, and 2-2x10.
    Holy moley!
    Now I see what all the fuss is about!
    The tone is absolutely AWESOME!!
    I mostly only tweak the character a little bit when changing basses (active-passive, P-J), but the range of available tones is simply immense! I'd thought of looking for a used Ampeg SVT 3 Pro, but I think I'll stick with this setup.