1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 VT bass or Darkglass vintage

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rollin Thunder, Dec 11, 2018.

1. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    simple question what would be best. Straight shoot out
    Tech 21 VT bass Di or Darkglass microtubes vintage (not ultra)
    just looking for a straight preamp, tone shaping with a little bit of grit and a bit more grit if required but not out n out distortion.

2. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Both sound different. Ive had both, including the Vintage Deluxe. I didnt get on too much with the VMT, but did liek the Deluxe.
    Much preferred the VTBass though. to my ears the VTBass is more open and lively. The DI version is my Fav, although i still prefer the BDDI.

Zbysek likes this.
  3. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    The Darkglass Vintage Microtubes doesn't do tone shaping (or DI either), it's just an overdrive/distortion pedal.

For tone shaping (EQ controls), you would need the Vintage Deluxe or Vintage Ultra (or one of their other pedals with EQ controls).

Zbysek likes this.
  4. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    Yes i mean the deluxe the Di and eq contols thought i had said the Di version.

5. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    VT Bass for the win.

TodaysTomSawyer, AndyLES and Zbysek like this.
  6. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    Going for the VT

7. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Good choice.

8. Rollin Thunder

Rollin Thunder

Mar 20, 2017
    It does what i want it to do, that warm light tubey drive, all that and more, tried a few preamps and overdrives and none do it quite right, this does that and more.

TodaysTomSawyer and johnk_10 like this.
  9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If it's a heavy overdrive you want, the darkglass vintage microtubes would be right up your alley.

10. I disliked my VT Bass, and tried really hard to like it. But then I don't really like the driven SVT tone too much.

It is a well-loved pedal on here though. So if the Ampeg SVT sound is for you, then I'd go for it.
    I prefer Marshall/Orange/Peavey/TraynorTs50B/Mesa Bass 400 types of tones much more.

Basically, crunchy tones over underwater "waterlogged" bass tones when overdriven.
    (keep in mind, that is what makes Ampeg have that "syrupy" tone. I prefer my warmth from more of a fuzzed out lowend, with clank up top)

11. dax21

dax21

Nov 26, 2011
    Serbia
    Figured I could ask here without making a new thread or bumping an older one.
    I intend to use my VTDI connected to the effect return of Eden Nemesis RS400 head. The amp doesn't have a clip light for power amp, so how free should I be with the VTDI's gain? I typically run the drive around 11 o'clock. I figure I will have to use the +10db pad for the output jack as well?

Any tips are welcome, I'm just trying to avoid frying the power amp.

12. darkwasthenight

darkwasthenight

Oct 17, 2010
    For running direct into a power-amp I'd keep it with the pad off at the higher level as the padded output should be for running into an instrument level input. I wouldn't worry about frying your power amp too much either - as long as it isn't making any weird noises when you play you shouldn't be able to push it any harder than the original preamp. The amp may not have a clip light but it should still have clip protection built in.

dax21 likes this.