Tech 21 VT or Fulltone for overdrive/distortion on Mesa Gear?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MicG, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Hey guys,

I just got a Tech 21 VT a while ago and it sounded great with my former Ampeg 1x15HP. I upgraded my rig recently to a Mesa MPulse 600 w/ PH410 cab and I'm considering my options.

The rig sounds great, but I'm looking for a bit more drive for certain parts ala Foo Fighters "Stacked Actors" or Nirvana "Breed." I know the Fulltone drive 2 comes with a couple MOSFETS which might work nicely alongside the Mesa. Anyone got any experience with this pedal and Mesa gear combined?

What about the Tech 21 VT? You guys think I could achieve the same sound with the VT as a Fulltone might give? Apologies if this has been covered already, i'm just curious for some insight, thanks.

2. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I never used a VT Bass with a Mesa, but I can vouch for the Fulltone driving Mesas beautifully!

3. excane

excane Inactive

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    +2 on the Fulltone. It sounds great through a Mesa Titan (never tried it through the 600)

4. Thanks for the input guys, anyone else?

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Just buy it. You know you want to ;)

Got no experience with the Fulltone, but you really can't have too many overdrives. Well, you can, but hopefully you'll find a use for most of them.

6. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky

Jun 13, 2017
    I have a Fulltone Bassdrive>mpulse360 and it sounds fantastic with my Ibby SG5 and a few Fenders I had come through here....but not at all with my Epi TBird. That bass doesn't seem to like any boost I try, so I'll call that an outlier. Bassdrive is a great piece if you can find one.

Jeff O'Connor likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021