1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech 21 VT XLR out question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jetsrush, Mar 20, 2013.

1. jetsrush

jetsrush

Sep 22, 2010
    Hello my fellow bassist's, I am currently gigging with a Fender rumble 350 combo which is very loud but is lacking in the eq shaping department. When my band plays larger venues I need to put it through our PA system which is unfortunatly run by my drummer. The sound is pretty decent in smaller gigs but when I go through the PA I get that crappy straight through the board sound which would be great if I were in a Steely Dan cover band. I really like the sound of the Sansamp VT but it does not have an XLR out on the basic model and I dont have the cash for the deluxe version and dont have the time to wait for the new one. My question is (finally) If I hook up the VT through my effects loop will it get picked up using the XLR out on my amp ? If so are there any negatives using the loop as opposed to the regular bass input ?

2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Might have better luck in the effects or amps forum.

3. Gearhead17

Gearhead17 Supporting Member

May 4, 2006
    Roselle, IL
    Two options - you can run the VT straight into the Fender Rumble combo then take the XLR out of the Rumble combo set to PRE which does not include any of the Fender Rumble's internal sound, but includes everything in line to the combo (pedals and so on). This is the simplest and most cost effective way to do this.

You could also send a POST signal which would include the Fender Rumble's internal sound plus the sound of everything before the amp input. This might cause several headaches or could sound great. If you mess with the Fender controls during a show, they will show up in the PA system - you probably do not want that, but it could work well.

4. tech21nyc

tech21nyc Commercial User

Aug 17, 2010
    Manufacturer: Tech 21
    Are you trying to go direct only and not use the speaker of your amp? It depends what you want to do. I'm not quite sure where the line out taps from on that amp.

The easiest thing you can do is get a cheap DI box and run the VT into that and run the XLR to the PA. Take the parallel or thru out of the DI and send that to your amp.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I'd just go through the input, that way it's there and it's uncomplicated and you make sure it hits your XLR out on the amp.

6. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    Yep, or set the DI out on the amp to pre, if possibly - same thing as using a separate DI box.

I do just that - use the VT's control to do the basic sound shaping, so it sounds good in the PA, then use the amp's controls to adjust my stage sound. Works out pretty well, and I can fiddle with the knobs on my amp for the entire gig without affecting the PA. I just have to remember to not touch the VT anymore ;)

7. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    I'm not sure about the VT, but on my BDDI, I put it last in my signal chain, ran the out back to my amp, and sent the XLR to the FoH, and got the desired result. Of course, the BDDI IS a DI, though. I agree with everyone, grab a good DI box, it's made for that sort of thing and it's always handy to have a reliable DI around.

8. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member