Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21 XXL Bass Vs HAO Rust Ride

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TaySte_2000, Jun 14, 2005.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    So has anyone compared them, I tried the xxl yesterday and quite liked it , am basically thinking of moving my board around.

Swap my french toast for my zoom ultra fuzz set to self occilate, so I need to replace the zoom with something ate the begining of my chain, I want something that is a powerful almost industrial sounding distortion or fuzz with odd harmonic charactaristics, not quite sure how to describe it but I'll know it when I hear it.

So if any one has experiance with either let me know.

Cheers people.

Oh Dave don't send that xxl back just yet ;) hehe

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I would like to know how these two compare to each other, too. Does anyone have experience with the bass oriented XXL?

3. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes the XXL is a distortion pedal, not an overdrive which IMO is more the Hao's focus. I think it's apples / oranges

4. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    yeah id like to hear some reviews on the bass xxl

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I have one, but been busy with work so haven't had time to do a full run through. So far, I like a lot, and I'm pretty picky.

6. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i would say that the syb-5 has some industrial sounding droning distortion..

7. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    When I tried the XXL I found it excellent. If I hadn't already got the sound on my pedal board I'd have bought it, am still tempted though mainly because it's purple.

Anyway it doesn't seem to have a light setting, the lightest it goes is a crazy distortion, it also seems very much like a bass distortion if you get me when you hear it it makes you rock out with the root 5 combo's and not dive up the neck for some faux guitar soloing. I found when the pedal was cranked it was a little to crazy and you lost note definition, but there are plenty of sounds and gain before you get to this stage so I don't see why you would have to crank it ever. It's a very quiet pedal not much hum when engaged and doesn't squeal when your not playing anything. I can see this quickly becoming *THE* Bass distortion to have.

Dave, Alex was saying that the HAO even though it's meant to be an overdrive, he thinks its very much a distortion wall to wall distortion I think he called it.

Xan sorry but to many people have told me the tracking on the syb-5 is really bad, so I don't really think it will do what I want.

Cheers people

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    no worries man im not trying to sell it to you, ive decided to keep mine! the tracking isnt awful, better than the syb3 but not as good as d.i. just the first thing i thought when i plugged it in was that it sounded industrial.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Hey man no probs, didn't think you were trying to sell it to me anyway. Thanks for the input, I wanna hear your stallion when it gets there.

10. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I just bought an XXL sight and sound unseen...$54 of the bay. I figured what the hell, I have $ sitting in my paypal account, why not. Anyhow, I'm pretty psyched about it. I've heard nothing but good stuff about this distortion pedal.

I guess the one I got is older. It is crome (pic below), not purple. :confused:
    Anyone know if there is any difference between the 2?
    [​IMG]

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    yeah thats the older guitar version

12. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Yikes. Any experience using it with bass?

13. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Check out the last post in the Distortion Mega Thread! :D

14. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Lol, I just did a seach in that thread. Funny how its the last post.

Did you get the silver guitar one? If so, how does it handle the lows, any tone loss?

15. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Yeah, I've got the older, Silver edition. Lots of raunchy distortion and great subtle OD, (with the gain turned down). The tone control helps to keep lows intact, just stay away from the higher settings. I haven't noticed any reason not to be absolutely thrilled to own this pedal. Also, if you are using a SABBDI, put the XXL right before it and click both of them on.......BEST BASS DISTORTION EVER!!! Anyway, there is no loss of low end, it is built like a tank, has tons of useful settings and it sounds badass. I think you will like it a lot. Good luck.

16. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Sweet! Sounds great, I'm very psyched.

Good to know. I have a SABBDI, and a Fulltone bass-drive. I'll proabably throw it right between the two. :cool:

17. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I've been tempted by the Keeley Rat - can anybody comment/compare that one too?

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    I would have thought the Fulltone would go between the xxl and the sansamp. The xxl is not a subtle effect. Well the bass version isn't at least.

19. Sako

Sako

Nov 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    Anyone try the out the Hao? I just got one, and MAN is it a wall of sound. Nothing subtle about it. Pretty cool.

20. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I agree with Alex on this. It may be designed as an overdrive, but it is great for distortion.