1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech 21 XXLB Clips?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by FreaqyFrequency, Mar 30, 2009.

1. I've done a search, looked at the basstasters page, and still have a very loose idea of how the pedal actually sounds. Can anyone help me out?

2. RCCollins

RCCollins Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i'm pretty sure there are clips in the wiki

edit: scratch that, they're gone

3. Yeah, I looked there too, and there used to be a big thread of a dude who did some great clips (from what I can recall, haven't looked at it in a few months) but those are gone now too. The only real clip I've found currently here is BigO's comparison of the XXLB to the Rust Ride.

4. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Not real good quality (just my practice amp picked up by a Zoom H2) but I have a few.

This was actually to compare the XXL and the Rust Ride. Every clip goes XXL then RR, though sometimes there is some clean bass to start the clip (and one with clean at the end).

The first clip has two Rust Ride samples (switch on normal then bright).

Clip 1

Clip 2
    Clip 3
    Clip 4
    Clip 5

EDIT: I was finding my clips while you posted. Well, there they are anyway.

5. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    One more clip from band practice. This one is the XXL into the SansAmp with a very slight touch of chorus. I'm playing with a pick.

It showcases one of the things I like about the XXLB, it is touch sensitive. And into the SansAmp it is very compressed, so I can play very lightly and not get much distortion but still be at a reasonable volume. Then plucking harder lets all the dirt out.

Clip

6. Sounds noice! Thanks.

I wouldn't mind hearing it a bit more opened up as far as distortion is concerned.

7. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    anybody got demos showing off the "warp"? or was that in there somewhere?

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I'd be happy to if I still had it but it was sold in the great

I made a clip at one point changing the warp but I've sent lost it. It's an interesting control. You don't really get a sense of it by twiddling it while playing as it is a somewhat subtle effect on the "character" of the distortion. I found it to be more noticeable with the tone up higher, but despite the three knobs (four with volume) the XXLB isn't very versatile. Even with the gain all the way down it is a pretty heavy distortion.

EDIT: Not that it matter much but the last clip I posted was written with a pick, but I realized I was actually using my fingers in that recording.

9. Silver Hammer

Silver Hammer

Aug 17, 2006
    I have a XXLB on the way so once I get it I'll record some clips and post um if you want.

10. I have one of these. When you turn the distortion all the way up you get really squeal-ly feedback. it's perfect for Sludge.

11. I remember you mentioning something about it in the chat a while back...

So you do like it? Do you have clip-recording materials?

12. I do like it very much. :D So far it has provided to me a "BIG" tone.

I'll try and do some quick and dirty clips soon.

13. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Awesome clip, dude!:)

14. http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7427709

this is the XXLbass edition (that i just sold) into my VTbass

never really tried it with the band, but that things got alot of tonal variation (as long as you want distortion)

15. Sounds great! Pretty much just the sound/test I was looking for, as I already have the VT Bass.

Thanks mate. Which times was it running into the VT, and when was the VT/XXLB running solo?

16. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Thanks! I'm rushing it a bit, (I wrote that riff just before practice) but still, I wish we would have used it at some point.

17. RCCollins

Mar 23, 2008
    San Diego, California
    i might have to pick one of these up

... to use with my synthesizer!

18. Dear Gawd...that would be amazing! :eek:

19. DO IT RIGHT NOW! FOR GREAT JUSTICE!

20. first 8 seconds is bass->VTbass, the rest is bass->XXL-> VTbass