Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech 21

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by tulkas, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Hey people. Just want some advices from more experienced bass players.

It just appeared a nice deal with a Tech 21 Bass Driver DI :

http://www.tech21nyc.com/bassdriver.html (this one)

Post your comments about it was a DI box, effects, problems that you have with it, etc.

Feedback apreciated.

Thanks. :bassist:

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    These are of the Para Driver (bassically a BDDI w/ shiftable presence knob):
    Samples: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2747354&postcount=93
    More Samples: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2753213&postcount=99
    My Samples #1: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2743485&postcount=90

By shifting the Mid to ~1KHz the mid knob acts like the presence on the BDDI. The samples from the first two links marked [BDDI] are settings from the Bass Driver "translated". Also the no emulation and "fat tube" should be the same as the BD as the mids are flat so shifting has no effect.

3. Very nice stuff DarkHatred . Thanks a lot.

More feedback please.

Thanks. João. :)

4. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    Does anyone use the SansAmp BDDI directly into a power amp, like an RMX-1850HD? I'd love to have a real short config: bass -> BDDI -> QSC RMX 1850HD. Is the BDDI hot enough to go right into a power amp?

5. Djee people. Use the search button for once... all these questions have been answered for like a billion times before.

Mods?

6. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    If only there was some way to "search" the "archives"... it would be great because there has been at least one SansAmp thread every week since I started frequenting TB over two years ago. There has to be a load of information in there. If only...

:confused:
    :bag:

7. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
    I searched for quite a while, but most people seem to be running some other preamp (or use a head) with the BDDI. I'm wondering if anyone has just used the BDDI and a regular old power amp. If so, how hot is that signal? Does it drive the power amp well, or just so-so?

8. There have been "countless" threads on this very subject. There is a very well established modification which can be carried out to the "non programmable" SABDDIs which warms up the signal sufficiently to allow the use of the unit as a pre amp feeding into a dedicated power amp in exactly the way you have described.

9. ge9375

ge9375

Sep 5, 2004
  10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    It most likely will be able to run a power amp. The newest ones have two new switches (one for each out):

The one for the 1/4" has the following values: Inst = "0"dB & Line = "+10"dB
    With the XLR it's: Inst = "-20"dB & Line = "0"dB

"0" being the output produced by the bass+whatever you add with the level knob. That said, if you set your volume from the XLR, you could set the XLR switch to Inst (-20), adjust your level for the PA, then set the 1/4" to Line (+10). You would then have an appropriate level going to the PA and a +30 level going to the power amp.

Now this is where the difficulty lies. If you set the Drive or Blend too low you won't have enough left on Level to counter the -20 from the XLR switch. Depending on the sound you want, this is where the Para Driver is "better" than the BDDI, as you can have the Drive up around 12 o'clock (which on my passive is still clean), and the Blend on full, and not have to worry about any mid cut.

As an example, you can see with the current (as of today) setup I'm working with, I should have more than enough Level to power a power amp (level set for unity, switch's set for "0"dB) :
    [​IMG]
    Note: that is for a "crunchy" type of sound.
    The clean sound I've been previously working with is (with level/switch's as previous):
    [​IMG]
    It too should be able to drive a power amp with the flip of a few switch's and the turn of the level knob.

As an end-note the book recomends that if Level is below 12 o'clock, then you should set the XLR switch to "-20".

EDIT:
    Forgot to mension that you might encounter some noise issues depending on you bass, the position of the treble, mid/mid-shift, and drive knobs.

With mine it's pretty quiet considering, though it's probably cus I have by bass' tone knob off, the treble off, and the mid knob's shifted down to the lowest it'll go.

on an interesting sidenote, using the "crunch" settings: If I lower my bass' output by an 1/8 to 1/4 turn it become cleaner w/o too much volume loss or tone sucking :D
    It's like haveing a 2-3 channel amp (clean, grit, crunch) :bassist:

11. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Also, just for reference, most of the threads I've seen regarding your topic are located in the Amps forum, as opposed to the Effects forum, where you might be expecting them. Do a title search for "sansamp" in the Amps forum and you should get plenty of reading. :cool: