1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tech and tips on scremo hardcore metal bass mainly drop d

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by ibanez_lover, Nov 1, 2006.

1. :help: well the name says it all relly and i only want serious answers
    no assholes trying to be funny

safe pablo

2. play with a pick, drop your strap as low as possible and boost treble

3. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    Use a full stack of some sort. Play aggressive.

4. thanks man but im also looking for like tips on how to make basslines up that dont sound 2 similer to any other songs if u guys could help me it would relly b aprechiated
    cheers luke

5. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    If you want to make it more sophisticated from a metal/hardcore point of view, I'd start by working more closely with the drummer to build more complicated rhythm structures. If you can work you way into a spot where you actively contribute to the music/song writing then you can write more stuff that is bass oriented.

Learn how to do the coolest stuff you can (slapping, tapping, whatever floats your boat), and see if you can incorporate it into songs. A good starting point is to listen to what techniques bass players in that genre dont do, and then do it. To throw more progressive bass lines into any style of music, you need a degree of technique and tasteful musical judgement. It can take time to get there.

6. You are pretty much writing basslines for a genre that in my opinion is pretty void of good ones. Anything that ends with a "core" tends to be void of bass, but that is just my opinion. I would say work more with melody, but then it might not sound like the genre of music you want to create.

7. i play alot of metalcore, etc. and ive been using my 5 string, instead of "tuning down". If I transpose drop d licks onto the B string, it gives a pretty cool sound. And boy does it make those chugs deep.

8. Ibanezzer

Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    one opinion/suggestion: don't limit yourself to just that genre... meaning that you should try to listen to other genres (if you're not already doing so) and try to learn a lot of different stuff, having a broader knoweldge will help you on the creativity part of coming up with cool basslines. For example try learning some jazz or blues stuff, it'l get you thinking.

9. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    very, very true

10. My opinion only...A little overdrive, a lot of galloping, lots of staccato/palm muting, and throw an occassional tasty chords in the mix too...that should help thigs stand out a bit ;)