1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech Bass Line Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cynic_al, Aug 9, 2012.

1. cynic_al

cynic_al

Jul 22, 2012
    I recently picked up a Tech Bass Line Lx-2000 cab as part of a package deal. Sounds good, but what i thought was a tweeter control actually just leads to wires running into the center of the magnets on the speakers. Anyone have experience with these cabs that might be able to clarify what this is all about?

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Do the magnets have what looks like a smaller magnet mounted on the back of them.....an HF driver. They might be coaxial speakers. Does the tweeter dial seem to make any difference in sound, more or less highs from the cone speakers?

3. cynic_al

cynic_al

Jul 22, 2012
    there doesn't appear to be anything but a stock magnet and wires disappear into voice coil. also no noticeable high frequency change although the knob says "treble"

Attached Files:

4. I had a pair of 2x12s a while back. One cab was simply 2x12. The other was 2x12 with a tweeter. But the tweeter was in the center of one of the cones, basically under the dust cover. I never looked in the back but it would make sense to have wires running like what you've got in that picture.

5. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    That "CX" in the model number usually means coax bit I haven't seen those exact speakers before. There still might be an HF inside there, that might be blown if you don't notice any change in highs with the dial. Or the dial might be bad. There should be a circuit board/filter somewhere in the cab, if it's not also built on to the speakers. Maybe the bulb fuse is blown?

6. cynic_al

cynic_al

Jul 22, 2012
    Thanks for the quick responses guys. The dust covers do seem a bit large for 12"s so I'm guessing that there's something under there. Found the board you mentioned and it is simply the pot and a couple caps/resistors, no fuse. Like I said it sounds good the way it is so I think I'll leave it alone. Just never seen a speaker like that being mostly accustomed to Celestion or Eminence based cabs. Again, thanks for the replies.

7. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    If there is no inductor coil on that circuit board, it likely isn't a steep enough filter and the HF coil was blown somewhere along the path of history. Woofers will still play without it though. The resistors might be part of an l-pad network. If any are laying across the + and - lines, might want to disconnect that stuff and just leave the woofers wired up to the input jack.

8. This is correct - it's been a long time since I had mine.
    I remember the crossover had 4-5 options. It was a rotary switch, not a pot like you usually find on your typical cab.

9. bassmanfreddo

bassmanfreddo

Feb 1, 2013
    I used to be the importer distributor of Tech Bassline. That is a coax speaker with integral tweeter. The potentiometer should be connected to a passive cross-over assembly.

10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Hey Fred! Hope all is well with you and family.

I've still got my CT212/CX212 stack; and its still humming along!:D

11. lovely

lovely

Jun 13, 2003
    Phoenix, Az.
    Just got a LX2000 last week, as well. Great cabinets.

12. bassmanfreddo

bassmanfreddo

Feb 1, 2013
    All is well! I wish I still had my CT2000's, long gone :crying: