Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech book for bass

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Stephen S, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    Is there an all around tech book for bass? A book that will teach me how everything works and what everything is called? I'm tired of referring to parts as thingies.

2. Read a few copies of Bass Player mag, you'll know it all in no time.

3. But I thought 15 year olds knew it all already... ;)

4. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's three to consider:

The Bass Player Book: Equipment, Technique, Styles and Artists by Karl Coryat, ED. $16.95

The Working Bassist's Tool Kit: The Art and Craft of Successful Bass Playing with CD, by Ed Friedland, $13.95

These two can be purchased as a set at Amazon.com for $30.04

Guitar Player Repair Guide: How to Set Up, Maintain and Repair Electrics and Acoustics by Dan Erlewine, $16.07

D.I.Y. Guitar Repair by Pieter J. Fillet, $6.95

All are available at Amazon.com. You might also check BassBooks.com

5. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

It occurs to me that you may also want technical advice about your sound equipment too. I have a book I can't find right this minute. It is strictly sound technology from speakers to amps to cables to PA systems and very technical.

I think it is called "Sound Reinforcement." I can't remember who wrote it. It is paperback, but thick and was quite costly as I recall...around $25.00 or so. When I say it is technical, I mean that this book may have MORE than you want to know.

One last idea. We have a lutheirs folder here at TalkBass. Check it out and see if you can find what you need there.

6. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I'm not looking for help with my bass playing i just want to learn about the techie side of bass. I want to know how to hook everything up properly and the names of everything im hooking up.