Tech in Baltimore

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ii7-V7, Dec 25, 2005.

1. ii7-V7

Aug 4, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I am looking for a tech in the Baltimore/Towson or Southern PA area who has experience with fretless basses.

Anyone know of anyone?
  2. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    Well, he's not in Towson, but it's worth going all the way to Catonsville. John Thurston is a brilliant tech, and a lot of guys in the area use him. In fact, he used to make KT basses, so he knows the instrument from the inside out. If you're interested, PM me, and I'll give you his contact info.
  3. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Hey there,

I would like John's info. When I was a kid, I was just getting into guitars and I was riding my bike with friends one day (I was 14 or 15) and stumbled on John's shop in Dickyville, MD (KT Guitars). It was in an old mill. He and the guys gave us broke but fasinated kids a tour even though they knew we didn't have a dime to our name. Almost 25 years later, I still play. I'd like to thank him and also use him for future setups and repairs.

4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    PM sent to Quad. As I said to him, given John's apparent love for music, there's nothing about that story that surprises me.
  5. lowmid1

Aug 16, 2002
    Baltimore, MD

This guy is fantastic, both as aperson and as a luthier! I would (and do) take any guitar I own to him for any kind of work and feel absolutely at ease! He is meticulous and precise and thorough. I have referred many people to him and every single person seemed to feel the same way I do about him! Phil gives a level of personalized service that no one else can match!

(stepping off soapbox) :)
  6. notrt

Jun 29, 2004
    Good morning:

Try John Warden, "Warden Custom Guitars", Woodstock, Maryland---he's about 15 minutes West of the Beltway.

He defretted a Zon for me, very nicely, I might add, and has done a variety of projects for me over the past fifteen or so years.

Lots of experience; he goes 'way back to the early days at Alembic...'nuff said??? :bag:

7. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  8. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I just met John about a month ago on the recommendation of my instructor. I had a MTD Grendel with a stuck truss rod and he made it like new. He is an expert at defretting basses and is going to do a fretless project for me. Not only is his level of expertise phenomenal but he just a great person to deal with.

He is located in Catonsville...
  9. monfoodoo

Apr 20, 2006