Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech Qestion F bass owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BrandonS, Jun 4, 2001.

1. BrandonS

BrandonS

Nov 15, 2000
    I just received my f bass BN5 and it plays and sounds killer.
    The only complaint I have is that I don't have a separate volume control for the overall level. If I need to turn it down a little for portions of a song, turning down the pickup volume posts will change the tone. Would a foot pedal work well without degrading the signal? Just wondering how you guys have been adjusting your volume without changing the tone .

Thanks for your help,

Brandon

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I think the volume pedal would be your best bet. A good one wont change your sound, so it would be better than using the volume of your bass.

3. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I don't change my volume level, I use my technique.

4. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    Oh yeah, Congrats on the great purchase! I totally dig F's. I have a fretless 5 on the way. It should be here Thursday or Friday. I'll post pics.

5. Brandon, I just experienced the same thing today with my F bass! I reccomend a volume pedal as well. I like Visual Volume's pedal.

6. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I think visual volume are not made anymore, that's what I heard at least...
    Ernie Ball have good volume pedal.

bassboy, don't forget to call me when you play, I'm waiting.

7. Yvon, you are correct. They stopped making the pedal a few years ago, although you can still find them occasionally in stores. I'm playing with Groove Prophecy, the 11 piece funk band, on the 25th of June. I'll call you with details!

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Same here. I can go from full tilt to not playing at all and any volume level in between. It just takes practice. It's fun to get to a level where you can still play hard at low volume, without "help";)

9. I agree with Brad and Ka.
    This bass really shines in responsiveness. Thats why I like it so much. You can get a full sound with a light touch, and more agressive with a heavy touch.
    Another way to control volume with one knob is switch into humbucking mode and pan one pickup off. Leaving the the other one on, you can tweak the tones for a very close sound. This is assuming you like the two pickups on coil tap. When they are at equal volumes, they hum cancel each other.
    My best setting is: Dual coil taps o about 8 each, active, Tone at 9, bass at 6, mid at 8, treble at 7. I use this setting mostly for fingerstyle.
    For pick, either boost bass, reduce treble, or I go to humbucking and favor one pickup (Usually neck) a little hotter.
    I hope this helps.
    I would never use a volume pedal. I feel they would suck the life out of the tone. Maybe I'm wrong, I never tried one.

10. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I have tried them and they do work. The catch is nothing is as instantaneous as my hands:D

And the price is right.

11. ka-tet

ka-tet

May 2, 2000
    I don't ever use the EQ on the bass. During solos, sometimes I'll boost the mids a little and roll the neck p/u down a little just so I can cut through a little easier to hear over my drummer who insists on playing a solo the same time I do! I think these basses sound so big flat that I hardly ever feel the need to touch the EQ. My new fretless 5 is supposed to be here Friday. I'll post pics. I was told it is a very rare color. Marcus at F told me this is the only bass they've ever made at this color. It's a gray burst if you're wondering, though I have no idea what it will actually look like.

12. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

My F Bass is the first bass I've gotten that has two volume controls instead of a pan. I'm seriously thinking a getting a pedal to control the volume. I think it's the only practical way to control the volume when using both pickups.

Also, one comment about EQ on the bass. Before my F Bass, I was really into active electronics (my other bass is a Stingray). I almost would not consider a bass unless it was active.

However, playing the F Bass, I almost always use it in passive mode. I just don't find the need to use the active EQ. The sound is so good passively. Also, when in active mode and the EQ is flat, the active volume is the same as the passive volume. Makes it really easy to dial up a second sound and go between the two.

BrandonS, do you have any pictures?

LeonD

13. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    The 84 Tobias 5 Mike built for me has (per my request) two volumes and a mini toggle to switch between pickups. Instant changes at the flick of a switch. If I were building a bass today I'd go with this configuration. it gives you more control than a pan pot (continuously variable volume on both pickups).