1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech question on pick ups for Ibanez SR505

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by joellay, Nov 15, 2018.

1. joellay

joellay Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2018
    My SR505, as many know, has the Bartolini MK-1 pickups.
    I love the size, weight and feel of this bass. Ibanez four string necks are too small and the 5 stringer feels perfect. So, for that reason I love the bass, but am underwhelmed by the output. I've heard mixed reviews on the output issue with the 505.
    On one hand, i've heard criticisms about the pickups and others have said it's the over engineered pre-amp.

I can pick up a set of Nordstrand pick-ups, but I don't want to spend the $$ if the pre-amp is muting the life out of them. One person said changing the pre-amp would be enough to liven up the stock pick ups.

Do any of you have any experience on modding one of these?

2. joellay

Feb 12, 2018
    Dang folks? Nothing?

3. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I use Nordstrand pickups and pre amps exclusively. In all honesty, I’ve never switched one out for the other.

My recommendation, would be to spend the extra money and get both. Trust me when I say, you will not be disappointed! There is a reason that Notdstrand’s are the only electronics that I will use in my basses.

If you have questions about what specifically to get, shoot me a message on here and we can talk more.

4. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    What year was your SR505 from? The first 2 digits of its serial numbers at the back of the headstock shows the year of build.

Ibanez changes the SR505 preamp quite a lot over the years. I guess the latest build of which preamp has 3-way mid frequency switch should be okay.

5. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Calling on @Killed_by_Death
    He has owned several of the higher end Ibanez, maybe he’ll see I tagged him and weigh in.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. TBH I don't think Nordstrand makes a drop-in replacement for a MK1. Check on their site, they do provide the measurements.

If you like the sound of the pickups, but just want more output, find a preamp that you can adjust the gain on.

If you're looking for more output from the pickups, Nordstrand's Big Split or Big Single isn't the answer either. I'd recommend something with ceramic magnets:

Zen Blade 5
    Nordstrand_Pickups_Zen_BHCB4_soapbar_front_800x.
    Nordstrand_Pickups_Zen_BHCB4_soapbar_sidewind_800x.
    Zen Blade is a sidewinder humbucker, which uses two coils, but one set of "poles", in this case blades.
    Check out the characteristics listed on their site. I think it would be bloody awesome!

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  7. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Helps if you post to the correct forum ;)

also probably should give it more than 15 minutes for a response.

(moved to P&E)

8. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    The Bartolini MK can be replaced with Bartolini P2 size pickups available on Nordstrand website. The differences between MK & P2 are very minimum and unnoticeable. Most cases, routing for MK1 pickups can accept P2 pickups without any modification required.

9. joellay

Feb 12, 2018
    It’s a 2016.

10. joellay

Feb 12, 2018
    I’ve spoken with Nordstrand and yes their pick ups fit, and they make sets specifically for Ibanez production.