1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tech Soundsystem Black Cat tone controls?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by warwickhunt, Aug 30, 2007.

1. I realise that I'm fairly new on Talkbass but I wondered if there was anyone who owned this amp or had experience with it, that could help me out or if they have an English (sorry USA) version of the user manual for this amp (as opposed to the German).

It's a recent used acquisition and fairly straightforward to use. However... the amps tone controls appear to do very, very, little (and I mean that the tone is virtually the same no matter how extreme + or - you set the controls)! This may be a design feature (less for you to screw the sound up) and I've identified from the Tecamp website (German pdf manual) that the 3 frequency centres (B/M/T) are 40/400/6,000 hz but not how much the +/- is. There may be info contained in the text that could help me out but I'm struggling to translate it easily (thinking out loud; I may try to copy and paste into Babelfish but the pdf format may make the text garbled... will try).

Any users or knowledge of this amp out there?

Many thanks

John

2. I've managed to translate the manual (thank you babelfish) but it gives nothing more away about the range of boost/cut. Maybe my hunch was correct and Tech deliberately don't give you much scope so that you can't mess up the tone of their amp, though I'd still love to hear the views from any users out there!

3. Not a single user?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    You could take it to a shop and have them run a test signal through it to actually measure the amount of cut/boost. Also, have you tried emailing Tecamp? Lots of German companies have English-speaking people on staff.

5. I read a review in a German bass magazin and it said the tone controls (bass, mid, treble) are passiv, hence you can't boost any frequencies - only cut them.
    So, putting the bass, mid, treble controls all the way to the right is the "linear" sound of the amp.
    But the German manuel does not mention this (as far as I remember), that's a bit strange to me.
    The review said that the EQ and the possibilities to change the sound are kind of limited, the "colour" control is to be the one that gives you more options.
    I played the amp during a rehearsal once but I'm not really familiar with it.

6. Thanks guys.

Yes I've emailed Tech Soundsystems & Tecamp (one and the same I'm sure but I did both anyway).

If they are purely passive and there is no boost then I suppose that imagining the control fully clockwise on passive may well be the same as the centre detent on an active control. So in effect I've got about 270 degrees of travel in the passive (full travel from fully right to full left) to achieve the same as I would have with about 135 degrees of travel (centre detent to the left position) on an active! That might make sense but strange you get no indication in the manual.

I'll bear that in mind and see how that feels in the morning.

Thanks again.