1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tech Soundsystems 12" cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by deksawyer, Oct 17, 2006.

1. deksawyer

deksawyer

Jun 26, 2006
    Fife, Scotland
    I received my new Tech 12" cabs on friday and took them along to our rehersal space the other day.

My amp was at home so I plugged them into the PA to see how they sounded - fantastic.

These are the older, and much more pleasing design, the company are now known as Tec Amp. They're very light and I'll find out on thurs. what they sound like in rehersal.

Quick specs;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The cab to the right is a very old (and very heavy) Carlsbro 4x12 that I've been using in the rehersal place for the last few months with a Peavey PA head. Sounded OK but was a bit wooly with the lower notes. Things are going to change........

D.

2. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    Nice cabs. Give us an update after your rehersal.

3. bebass

bebass Sho Me Music Commercial User

Sep 3, 2006
    Bolivar, Missouri
    Authorized dealer for Bergantino, Dingwall, Genzler, Phil Jones Bass, Cort, Traynor
    Now known as tech amp, are these available in USA?

4. RWiegman

RWiegman

Jul 18, 2005
    Netherlands
    Congratulations! Tech Soundsystems makes great cabs! I used to use SWR cabs (first one Goliath III 4x10 and after that 2 Gol. III 2x10 Jr's) for almost 8 years, but I was curious about the NEO hype. So I got a used Tech Soundsystems 210 XT and realised it was WAY better than SWR. I immediately sold the SWR cabs. The 210XT outperforms 2 Gol. Jr.'s at ease. It's better in reproducing a low B, is louder, can handle 700(!!) watt RMS, is lighter (+/-19KG/42LBS) and I now don't have trouble anymore hearing myself in the band.
    The sound is modern and well balanced.

I'm very curious about the new TecAmp cabs (http://www.tec-amp.com/). It's the same company but got a new name. Too bad they don't have the "XT" versions anymore, but the good news is the new cabs are a bit cheaper than the older ones.
    I'm convinced the new product line will sound (at least) as good as the previous.

Picture:
    [​IMG]

5. john flipcycle

john flipcycle

Oct 13, 2004
    Reading UK
    Partner, The Strat Shack www.thestratshack.co.uk
    These are great cabs! I have a 2x12 I recently got second hand and its terrific! Its got the best tweeter I've ever heard in a bass cab and its amazingly loud. Plus it weighs in at less than one of my ashdown abm cabs, its smaller and its loud enough to gig with. Its a very hifi sounding cab but can rock out when needed. Plus did I mention how loud it can go? :bassist:

6. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    Tech makes fantastic amps and cabs, a Tech "Graphic cube" combo (300 watts, graphic EQ, 2x12 speaker, horn) was my first good amp and I intend to keep it forever, I almost killed it once because I didn't know crap about impendances and hooked an additional speaker up to it but fortunately, I only fried the fuse and it still works!
    I hadn't even heard of the brand before, nine years ago, I bought it on a whim because I needed a new, loud-ish amp and they were selling it for cheap.

The sound is hifi-ish but I just happen to like clean sounds.

7. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I picked up this cab in a local music store for $199. It was advertised as a Tech 1-12. Looked closely inside the grill and saw a speaker slanted in the back. Bought it on the spot and really love the sound. Actually thinking about putting a pair of Neo's in it after reading a few threads on the difference in sound that the neo makes. It is quite small and have included a pic with an Aggie GS112 sitting on top. The Tech 2-12 does not look much larger that the 1-12 aggie. (just bought a Little Mark II this morning to replace the SWR 350)

8. deksawyer

deksawyer

Jun 26, 2006
    Fife, Scotland
    Well, I have to confirm these cabs are amazing.

I used them last week at rehearsal and was blown away by how tight and clear they sound. I was using a Profet 3.2 to power them and was a little disapointed in how loud they were (more on that in a bit).

Anyway, my fellow band mates and especially our drummer, were also blown away. I was using an old Carlsbro 300W 4x12 and a Peavey PA head (Belonging to the guy who's house we rehearse in) so it's not hard to see how things could be improved.

On Thur past near the end of the practise, I had a feeling only one cab was working so when we finished I bent down to check if both cabs were working.

The bottom one wasn't. In my haste, I'd wired up the Speakons wrongly so the amp was only pushing the one cab at 8 ohms. I was amazed even more than before - how can one 12" cab sound this good? I can't wait for our next get together as I've made 2 new 4mm sq speaker cables (wired correctly! :hyper: ).

I've also bought a Focusrite pre and an Alto Mac 2.2 poweramp, so that'll give me 800W split into both cabs. Now that I can't wait for!

Here's the old and new cabs (is that Carlsbro really a 4x12??)

[​IMG]

D.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    What store did you find that in?

10. Gintaras

Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Bill's Music House
    I worked there in the 70's and dropped in there one day after I started playing again 22 months ago

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    That's one I don't get to often... or the Guitar Exchange across the street (if it's still there).