Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech Soundsystems 212 compact cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by drewie, Jun 28, 2002.

1. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    I just bought a Tech Soundsystems 212 compact cabinet today and I'm wondering if anybody has used one of these cabs and has an opinion on them. I paid £250 ($365) s/hand in excellent condition. It's the model with the second 12 mounted at an angle within the chassis with a front port and horn.

I was going to buy a 210 originally, but couldn't resist it...:D

2. K Dubbs

K Dubbs Just graduated from OSU, Go Bucks!

Mar 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    do you....have it yet? how does it sound compared to other 212's

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm curious too. Actually, I'm more interested in the new ND models with neodymium magnets - nice and light! no clue how they sound though :(

4. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Will arrive Tuesday, but Martin from The Bass Gallery, London will pay the return costs if I don't like it. Nice guy.

Check out his website:

www.thebassgallery.com

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Congratulations!

Tech cabs rule, you're gonna like it - I promise.

6. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Cab arrived Tuesday and I have now had the opportunity to try it out in two different environments:

It's a modern sounding cabinet with a very taut lower mid bias which cuts through very nicely.

I initially used it with an additional 15" cab for my rock gig and the combination of both was ideal. All my preferred tones came through with plenty of thump in the lower registers and enough punch in the upper mids for a nice slap sound. Perfect for me.

I then used it for a jazz rehearsal and again it was a pleasure to play through. The 12's seem well balanced and I had no problem EQing `my` sound.

Overall, for the money I paid I am very satisfied. Try one out if you can.

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    The cab is a CT2000. I just got one a few days ago and my band can't believe the sound I'm getting out of this thing. Its very Hi-Fi and packs quite a wallop considering the small size. I'm definately getting a second one, not so much for volume (this one will about cover anything I need) but for double gigs so I can have one on two different stages.

8. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wait 'til you hear the new ND (Neodymium) cabs.

9. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    where can i buy these in the USA?

steve

10. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Explain the "Neodymium" magnets. I'm not really up on these.

11. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Neodymium is 7 times more magnetic than conventional magnets, at a higher cost.
    Makes powerful, yet very light cabs possible.

Glockenklang too offers Neodymium versions of their cabs at this year's Musikmesse in Frankfurt.

The Neodymium Take Five is a 4x10 that weighs 25 kg!
    The Tech cabs are in the same weight range.

The Tech ND 410 XT delivers 1400W RMS(!)

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    So they're not using them to make 7 times more powerfull speakers (not that the cones could handle it anyway), they're making the magnets 1/7th the size to achieve lighter cabs at the same power as before. Is this analogy roughly correct?

This would be cool but the CT2000 I have now is very managable. I just switched to this from a Hartke 410XL because of my back and I am now in heaven. I'm still going to get a second cab for the REAL loud gigs I play, but this one is doing great by itself.

13. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Good question. I got mine from a guy who has a small store and happened into a few. He doesn't have anymore right now but he said he might be able to get more in a few weeks. I'm on his list for a second one already and I think he said he has several others already spoken for. Send me a PM with your email and if he contacts me with more available I'll let you know.

PS. He also has the CT4000. The one that looks like a 2x12 but is really a 4x12 (2 forward, 2 banked left out of site).

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Phat, did you buy yours from keithoflee on Ebay? I just got mine today. It's missing the knob for the tweeter control (just a shaft) though.

As for the sound, I couldn't use the Clarus since I don't have a dual-speakon cable, but I plugged it into an old head I have just now and it's got a pretty noticeable midrange "honk" which I believe is a resonance from the little chamber where the second 12" faces. It could be the head (an old Peavey gu*tar head :) ), but I don't remember anything similar from other cabs I've tried through it.

It seems really pronounced on notes around the 9th fret on both the A and D strings. They really honk. But I'm used to the Clarus/Acme setup, which is pretty clean, so maybe it's not that bad? I haven't tried it in a band situation yet either.

It's definitely nice and compact and a good bit lighter than my Peavey 2x10.

15. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    P.S. Now that it's here, time to sell some speakers:

[​IMG]

:D

16. Nice Trey Gunn poster :D

What do you use the Peavey guitar head for? Top range on Stick?

17. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Got two - top one's autographed :)

I don't use the Peavey head for anything, these days. I'm planning on getting rid of it, the homemade cab, the Peavey 2x10, and the crappo Hohner combo (probably couldn't *give* that one away).

I'm not playing Stick much lately. If need be I'd use the RP-7 there on the top end, and run both sides through the bass rig.

18. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Yes, Keithoflee.

I run mine with a Hartke 7000 head. I've owned this head since 1993 and this is the first cab I've run it totally flat with. I used to dip the 3K slider all the way to the bottom but I've found it unneccessary with this cab. I run the cab's tweeter at 3 o'clock (Yes, I had to buy a knob and a Speakon to 1/4" adapter for it).

I and everybody in my band loves this cab. I have found it a little midrangy at low volumes but put some power into it and it really shines. Haven't gotten anything I would call a "Honk" out of it. Sounds best when on the floor and tilted up at me.

The tweeter has such extended frequency response I'm finding some of our venues have very dirty electricity (noise) that I didn't hear before. No wonder the tone I'm getting has such clarity now.

I love this cab and the second one is on the way.

19. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    OK, thanks for the info. I'm eager to get this thing cranked up with a real amp! (cable should be here Friday, don't know why I didn't just drive to the store and get one! :) ).

It's funny that it's about 1.5" smaller in every dimension than my Peavey 210TX, sitting on top it looks like it came out of the Peavey - like a puzzle box or those Russian dolls. :D

20. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    I wonder how the Tech AX-200 2x12" would sound. It should have coaxial elements, one is going in Ebay Germany for 200e.