Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech soundsystems ct-212 found car speaker!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gintaras, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Gintaras

Gintaras Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I just purchased a tech soundsystem ct-212 It was advertised at a local music store as a (1)'12" cab with tweeter. The second speaker is actually out of site and loaded on an angle almost sideways in a horn type of formation. The tweeter is also mounted in the horn section. Well i took off the grill and to my amazement the speaker inside had been replaced by a Pyramid SuperPro PSC 700 watt stereo subwoofer (the actual RMS rating is 350 watts) I still have the original Tech front speaker and tweeter and only have played it at home. Sounds really good so far. Taking it out to a blues jam next tuesday. Just wonder what all the speaker experts think of this setup? Was this done by some deranged person or did he or she have something in mind?

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news but Tech Soundsystem only produces inexpensive home and autosound products, nothing suitable for professional use, and the same applies to Pyramid. It might work OK in your car but will never stand up to use as a bass cab. The 350 watt rating seems impressive but that woofer is totally unsuited to anything other than autosound. It no longer appears in Pyramid's catalog, probably went for 50 dollars new.

3. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    you can almost HEAR the wind going out of his sails.

that sux.

anyway, post back with your results on how it sounds... perhaps you can modify it or it will suit a niche for you as is.

(what was the $$$, if you dont mind)

4. BassJunkie730

BassJunkie730

Feb 3, 2005
    Brooklyn
    Do your self a favor and replace both of those speaker with Eminence Delta 12 LF's It should make the cab gig worthy.

If that doesn't do it for ya, the Schroeder 1212, sure will.

5. What do you meen by this? :confused: from looking at their website.. i find noththing that seems suitable for home or car audio.. they make nothing but bassamps, and it ain't very cheep either..

just hoping you could clarify your claim

cheers

6. Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    I read on this forum that some of the guys just got back from some bass symposium in Europe and that the Tech soundsystems stuff was HOT !!!

Here is a review from Harmony Central

http://www.harmony-central.com/Bass/Data/Tech_Soundsystems/Classic_212_Cabinet-1.html

I called the store that I bought the cab from and they took it in on trade. They will replace the speaker at no charge. There was not even a hesitation from them about straightening this problem out.

Even with the one junk speaker, the 'B' string on my MTD Grendel 5 sounded better than it ever has. Looking forward to having both speakers functioning. I am on the way to drop off the cab!!!

7. prockenklang

prockenklang

May 22, 2003
    Monterey,Ca.
    Are you crazy? Tech Sound Systems gear is KILLER!!!!! I used their stuff for years.As far as the Pyramid speaker,that is not designed for bass guitar.Send an e-mail to Thomas at Tech Sound Systems and I'm sure he can get you a replacement speaker! By-the-way,the speakers that came in that cabinet were paper coned with an aluminum coating.

John

8. Shiveringbass

Shiveringbass

Aug 21, 2005
    France
    As other said it, that statement is totaly scandalous. Tech soundsystems make one of the best bass gear available, light, compact, killer tone.
    Please verify before stating things so partialy.
    ;)

Shiveringbass

9. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    I did a google on Tech Soundsystem, all that came up was a Chinese speaker manufacturer. Tech Soundsystem ct-212 didn't come up at all. If there's another outfit in Europe using the same name it's not coming up on a search. In any event the driver in question, Pyramid, is a well known autosound brand. If his cab isn't from that Chinese source that matters little if there's a Pyramid driver inside.

10. Ouch! :eek: I googled "tech soundsystems", and the first 4-5 things were the site that these guys are talking about. (Nice looking gear, too!). Even googled it as "tech sound systems", (3 words) and didn't come up with any Chinese manufacturer. Check your spelling, I guess. :eyebrow:

11. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    This is [arguably] the design that inspired Jorg Schroeder's line of cabinets.
    [​IMG]
    - Ugly.

12. Gintaras

Dec 11, 2004
    Kent Island, Md.
    Glad to hear that you had good results with the Tech gear. I had actually emailed Thomas even before I bought the cab. I sent him an email yesterday asking to find out about a replacement speaker. If I cannot get a replacement for that cab, would you know what the specs are for the speaker so that I can get a comparable replacement?
    Thanks for the reply !!!! :hyper: :hyper:

13. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Bill sorry but what on earth are you talking about. I played a Tech rig, 2x12, 2x10 + Graphic 500 head and it blew every rig I'd ever played out of the water (I A-Bed it with Markbass and Ampeg which were there too). The Tech gear is incredibly light and incredibly good, a very even response, very transparent by cab standards and up to the task of 6 string and beyond. I think you are confused. Tech cabs are my dream rig, no more spine breaking and yet an incredible sound. Now that floats my boat.

14. billfitzmaurice

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Check my address. They are virtually unknown here. I googled the name exactly as it was given by the original poster. This is what I got:
    http://www.ljtss.com/

15. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    wow, that does look like a schro!

looks like you got a great find.

a rare occassion when bill is off the mark, too.

keep posting about your speaker replacement/results

16. Aj*

Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Unfortunatley you missed the s off Soundsystems as was origionally posted, then you would've got www.techsoundsystems.de and the correct answer. Anyway, we're all human, I was just surprised to hear that about tech from you since I usually hold your opinion in high regard. Glad that's cleared up lol.