Tech Soundsystems Mini Review... Warning, severe GAS inside

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aj*, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Ok so I have returned from Hamburg and indeed succeded in visiting the Bass shop there and I was impressed, it was a fairly small shop but piled to the celling with gear, Sadowsky, Yamaha TRBs, a large selection of Warwicks and Fenders but of course, the crowning glory of the room... the Tech Soundsytems rig. Ignoring the Ampeg, Mesa, Ashdown and SWR rigs there I headed straight for the techs.

So, here's how the rig lined up:

On top:
    The discontinued Graphic 1000 head.
    Finished off with a:

So, down to business.

Firstly, I made a point of picking up an old passive 200 euro 4-string P/J Yamaha and pluging it in. Eq off, all tone controls set to flat, all controls on bass to flat, amp into passsive mode. Gain set to 1 along with master volume at the same. I sat down, picked up the bass and started playing some Zender. Suddenly it happened, I felt the worst GAS I have ever felt in my life. The amp had taken the cheap bass and turned it into something incredible, it was so tonally pure it was untrue, everything just sounded so. Finger, slap, pop and tapping all sounded like the carefully crafted tones you hear in studio recordings, it was simply amazing. Oh and spectacularly loud even at the measly gain and volume settings. Crystal clear sound, no harshness or dullness, no pronounced frequencies, no coloured sound just pure bass as it should be. After 15 minutes it was time for a change...

Off the wall came a brand new Yamaha TRB-5PII, the amp was switched to active mode but everything else remained the same. I started out by giving the low end a thorourgh workout, I slaped and fingered the B relentlessly but the cabs never even broke sweat, an awesome low sound. The overall sound was simply perfection, I can honestly say that I think nothing would ever sound that good. I also tried a 'Wick FNA Jazzman 5, Modulus Q6 and a Cort Curbow 4 and all of them let the individual personality of the bass shine through, the 'wick growled just how it should do, Q6 didn't manage to trouble the rig at all even when pushed all the way to the last fret of the C string. Turning the volumes up to painfull levels, the amp remained free of hiss, when the eq was used it was too, the cabs didn't show a hint of distortion.

So here's the conclusion, I think you will never find anything that can compare to Tech, I have never had a more enjoyable bass experience than those few hours I spent with that rig. The prices may be high but nothing compares, you can not judge them against any cabs because they are just superlative.

If you have any questions then feel free to ask and I'll try to rack my brains.
  2. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    They sound great from everything I hear, but what high ened equipment have you, yourself played on in comparison?
  3. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    On the solid state side of things, Ashdown ABM-900 with ABM series 4x10 and 1x15, Ampeg B5-R with B series 4x10, Trace Elliot AH-300 with 1048 cab and whilst I was in Hamburg I tried a Markbass rig (can't remember the specs) and also a Bag End 1x15 with a Mesa Big Block 750. I can honestly say out of all those I'd take the Tech. I know I haven't played enough high end cabs such as Schroder or Aiguilar but that is more due to poor EU distribution than lack of effort. I haven't listed valve amps up there because they are a very different sound to the rig I tried, very coloured (in a good way). I wanted to try the Tech cabs with some of the other heads they had there but time ran out unfortunatley, I had a train to Amsterdam to catch. I aim to get more experience with tech in the future, this was just meant as the first impressions of a GAS ridden bassist.
  4. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Oh come on guys, you all kept asking me what Tech were like in other threads and now none of you read this! Cmon.
  5. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Thanks, that was a nice review, one question, are the cabs although light, hard to carry and load up because of their dimensions?

Does anyone know where I could find a price list for techsoundsytems cabs?

6. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    I believe they are extremely light for their sizes. Like, lighter than anything else or comparable.

There is a pricelist on the website. In Euro's but there are currency converters online.
  7. I just want that huge cab they have that has something mental like 10-12 drivers in it :D
  8. Piezoman

Nov 29, 2002
    Bronx, New York
    That Bad Cab looks sick. Or the 6x12 under a 4x10? that may be able to make 4ohms

What is a 6 ohm cab + an 8ohm cab?
  9. bad cab?
    2x15"+2x12"+4x10" in one cab!
    yeah that would do it for me...and a poweramp with around 3000w :D
  10. Aj*

Jun 14, 2005
    West Yorkshire, UK
    Sadly there was no badcab, someday I'll track one down :D. The cabs are not a crazy shape, quite compact and have decent handels. Certainly a lot more portable than my current 4x10, they are narrower but a bit taller. The weight really helps though. A pricelist can be found on the tech website, it's eyewatering but I guess you get what you pay for.
  11. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    What's their site?
  12. Fealach

Fealach Guest

Apr 23, 2003
    Gone to a better place
  13. Dood on this board purchased one of the 4x10s a while back, they sound just incredible and I cant believe they are that light!
  14. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Have you tried any high-end stuff?
  15. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    MY GAWD!! I really coulcn't belive my eyes when I saw a TECH thread!!

I will second the review whole heartedly. I spent a whole day with most of the TECH range and my gear, using my Accugroove 2x10 as a 'known constant'. To cut the story short, I feel in love with the 4x10 and now have one. I am looking to get a second one and run them as a stereo pair.
    Anyone wanna buy an Accu?
    Tone, i guess is in the ear of the beholder. My allegiance has been wavered and I have been totally blown away by TECH.

I tried the 6x12 cabinet and the guy from Bass Merchant, Mike Walsh, picked up the cab by one hand and spun round on the spot.

So you wanna hear what these cabs sound like? well, they are different from Accugroove. BUT the point i will make is that they are closer to accugroove than many many other cabs I have tried. to be fair tho, the 4x10 should have gone up against Whappo Jr, that would be a fairer comparison. the 4x10 just has tons more power/headroom to play with. at 1200W RMS, hardly surprising.
    The Accu probably has it in the 'i am transparent' arguement tho. I love it for that. GAS just calls for another TECH cab.
    I'd highly recommend the fine German Engineering, in Tech SoundSystems
  16. dood

Dec 9, 2004
    sitting down,facingforward..UK
    Endorsements: Shuker Guitars, Dingwall Designer Guitars, D'Addario, Planet Waves, Barefaced Bass
    they really are that light. ;o)

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    ...daaaaamn, that's cold Munji...but seriously, Tech stuff is unseen in the states so, who knows? They might just be as highly regarded as they are or worse/better...don't knock 'em till ya try 'em, wish I could...

AJ: Thanks!
  18. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    Which amps did you get to try?
  19. Jackbass

Dec 19, 2003
    Paris (FRANCE)
    Thanx for this review, TECH is really my favorite amp brand!! Best amps ever!!!! :bassist: (for me ;) )