Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech Soundsystems - ND 212T et al

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by geshel, Jun 3, 2002.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm curious about Tech's bass cabinets. I read that they were using neodymium magnets and were lightweight - well I checked out their website and was pretty shocked at the specs. The 212 looks awesome - 400w, 30Hz, 102dB 1w/1m, 44 pounds!

So - two questions:

1. Anyone played any of their ND line of cabs? How do they sound?

2. Where can I find them in the US? Doesn't look like Salwender is distributing them anymore :(

Thanks.

2. Now what I'm wondering about is the following:

If you look at the 4*10's, there's the T and the XT model. Both are 8 ohm cabs, weigh pretty much the same, both put out 104 dB, go just about equally low, but one is 800W and the other 1400W. Why put 600 more (expensive) watts into the XT if you get the same output level as the T? Or am I misreading the specs? Maybe BGavin or Joris could comment on this.

Cheers Rody

3. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The SPL rating is @ 1W/1m, so the <b>max.</b> SPL will be higher on the XT, since it can handle more power. You'll also have more headroom.

The Tech cabs sound very clear and defined, almost hifi, but with enough mids to cut through, the horn is very "musical" sounding, you can also adjust it to your preference.
    I used to drool about Glockenklang only, but if I get enough money together for a new cab, Tech will be a hot candidate.

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Those are older, and I presume heavier, models. The 2x12 sure is compact though! Too bad they don't list the weight.

5. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    Doesn't Bass Alone in San Diego sell Tech? It says so on the website.

6. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Ah! so it does. I'll drop them a line. For some reason I thought I saw a list of stuff they had and Tech wasn't on it.

7. Ah, ok, there's where my thinking went wrong. got it now, thanks.

Cheers Rody

8. How would that 2x12 do as a sub? Small and compact; would it be able to handle massive sub-harmonized dub bass do you think? Are these cabs too "delicate" or anything, better for quiet performances?

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    *bump*

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    How do you define "subwoofer"?
    In my, personal, book, a sub takes the fundamental of the lowest string within -3dB.

So I wouldn't call Tech 212 a subwoofer, if you play an ordinary fiver (B). If you play an ordinary four string (E), that cab will carry the lows well. "Well" meaning clear and pretty loud - but then we have to define "loud" as well...what a mess:rolleyes:

11. I just got a reply from Salwender about the last of their tech cabs....here it is;

Nice of him I thought; 50 Hz tho'....not enough for me.

12. Pre EB

Pre EB

Mar 15, 2002
    Denton, Tx
    The Acme goes to 'lebben; I mean 31Hz.:D :eek: