Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tech Soundsystems or Glockenklang

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jock, Dec 11, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Has anyone compared these two brands? Im looking for a cab, 4x10 or 2x12. How do these cabs compare frome these manufacturers? I´ve read a lot about Glockenklang but not much at all about Tech. Are they also HiFi sounding? Their specs look great. Especially the weight.

2. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    asia/australia
    I do not know about Tech , but playing with Glock is become an addict. I have Wayne Jones, Acme, SWR, Eden, etc but Glock is the best IMO

3. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    This one's a no brainer. Go for the Glock. :bassist:

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Well, I guess you're reading the wrong sources...
    Very few non-german media tells anything about Tech, os you need to look for Gitarre&Bass or Bassprofessor or similar, to find anything.

Bottom line will be that Glocken and Tech will both stand out as supercabs, very hifi etc.
    So you just need to try them out, to make an intelligent decision!
    Sorry...

5. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    You know that´s not what I wanted to hear. :D
    I guess you have to be in Germany to try these . Any germans in here? :confused:

6. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    I knew that! :D
    But you do want to hear the cabs... :D :D :D

7. I wouldn't mind trying out that Black Cat head by Tech. 1,000 watts. Lightweight switching amp and a tube preamp. More power than EA's switching amp and a tube pre to boot. Who else has this design? I hear the new Sadowski amp line may do something like this.

Wie fiel ist die Black Cat?

8. Tech cabs are very nice, i tried them at the musikmesse and currently I own a Glockenklang Double, and i can just say you won't go wrong with either.

9. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    US
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    German engineering strikes the world again. You will not go wrong with these cabs if you can afford them. This, coming from an Ampeg player with German blood. If I could afford it, it would be Glock. Tooting the German horn, I would say that German engineering is surpased by none! Best cars, guns, beer,etc......Now bass? :bag:

10. fast slapper

fast slapper

Dec 11, 2001
    Fresno, CA
    While comparing these two, you should add Hevos into the mix.

www.hevos.nl

11. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´ve looked at their site many times. Really impressive but their just a little too expensive and they never show up used as that is what Im hoping for. Im looking at their own used site once a week with my fingers crossed.

If anyone have first hand excperience with either of the mentioned cabs in this tread please let me know your thoughts about them and the tone they represent.

12. As i mentioned before, they are both great cabs. Both have a very hi-fi/clean sound although i did find that the techs had a slightly rounder/smoother tone and the glock was a tiny bit "edgier" (but in a good way, imo, which is why i decided to get the glockenklang), but the difference is very small and mainly a matter of taste.

13. Ilovepink

Ilovepink Banned

Nov 17, 2003
    California
    Tech are awesome! My absolute fav! They are not currently avalible in the States. Glock stuff is awesome, but IMHO no better than Tech for alot more coin.

14. As i bought my Glock an equivalent Tech cab actually cost 300€ more, so i wouldn't really agree that they cost more

15. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Anyone else want to comment on this before I drop my money on a brand new Tech 212 S?
    I´m hoping to pair it with a Thunderfunk head someday...
    [​IMG]

16. Those specs look pretty damn impressive - as do the specs of other Tech cabs too. 102 dB sensitivity, switchable impedance... combined with a proper head you´d have insanely loud but lightweight rig :eek:. How much does that cab cost?

17. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I don´t think the impedance can be swithched. There are probably two versions of the cab, 4 and 8 Ohms. But I´ll have to find that out.
    The best price I´ve found is 890 Euro.

18. Do it (as in buy it)! I tried a 212 S (and the 210) at the musikmesse last year - awesome cabs and pretty light

19. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Bump. Replace "Tech Soundsystems" with "TecAmp".

20. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Sorry EMJAZZ, but your comment that this question is a "no brainer" is absolutley bizarre to me. I doubt more than a handful of players who even lurk on this sight have even played both; and I'd be absolutley amazed if anyone had actually A/B'd them. Really, we should be a little more careful to distinguish between advocating something we may have and like and misreprenting that in a comparison situation, where we may not have experience with both kinds of gear in question. My 2c.

I can't comment on the Glock gear; no one around here has it. I do own two old Tech Compact 212 cabs and can say that their performance is jaw dropping.

I'm sure the Glock stuff is also great. The choice would need to come down to informed choice based on experience. I'll be fascinated to see if anyone actually chimes in to give an informed response based on actual experience.